This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Are you feeling scared, a little lost, and a lot overwhelmed? You’re not alone. It’s no big deal to not adapt to being at college as quickly as everyone else – you’re an adult and you have the right to take this transition at your own pace.

You’re probably away from home for the first time. And if you’re anything like me, the first thing you missed was the natural comfort you felt within the walls of your own home. Most of us have never had to deal with roommates. At home, you didn’t have to worry about paying for things like food or the Internet. You didn’t have to find classrooms in large, confusing buildings, after trekking across campus from your last class with only ten minutes to get there. Some of us haven’t had to make a completely new group of friends since kindergarten. The entire first month or so of freshmen year is so stressful.

It gets better. I promise.

You will find that as you get used to being at Towson, you will embrace it. Your fears will become your favorite parts about Towson, and the things that overwhelm you will become faint memories that you won’t even think of at the end of the year. Here are five things that helped me get adjusted quickly:

1.  Get involved. The Fall Involvement Fair just passed, but you can still check out involved.towson.edu if you were unable to attend to browse around and figure out what organizations are the ones for you (Her Campus Towson is a great option to consider!)

2. Come out of your shell. I know that this is easier said then done, but speaking to random people in your classes, dorm, and anywhere on campus will help you to realize that we’re all in this together and that all of us have been where you are now if we aren’t experiencing it with you.

3. Distract yourself. I know this may sound silly, but distracting yourself is the fastest way to forget about everything you miss about being home. Netflix, Hulu, a book – losing yourself in a world of entertainment can do a world of wonders for you. Just make sure not to go overboard – school is always the priority here!

4. Speak to your RA. They’re here for you! They’ll talk to you when you have no one to talk to, answer your questions that you think are too dumb to post in the Facebook group, and they’ll be more than a guide for you. Towson has equipped the dormitories with the best of the best that are well-trained and know what to do – and if they don’t, you’d better believe they’ll figure out a way to help you.

5. Keep in touch with your family and friends. I had an upperclassman tell me during my freshmen year that the best way to get over homesickness was to only speak to your family and friends every once in a while. I’m extremely close to my family, so that obviously only made it worse. Things like FaceTime and Skype make it possible for you to have brief, face-to-face communication with your friends and family from back home and it will always make your day.

By the time midterms rolled around, I didn’t even want to go home for Thanksgiving. Towson really becomes your home away from home, and every year I get to return back to this wonderful place is the best year of my life. Even if these tips don’t work for you, hang in there and know that Towson is here to serve you, not the other way around. Make your time at Towson the best time of your life because not only is it your right, you’re the only one who holds the power to.

Cydney is a senior at Towson University majoring in English with a focus on writing. In addition to being President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Towson, she always writes fictional stories in her free time. Cydney spends a lot of time online shopping, on Netflix, dreaming of buying purses and reading a good book all while hunched over her handy dandy iPhone. After college Cydney plans to write her own books and to go to as many concerts as possible.