Tips for the Best Girls’ Night In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Everyone has those weekends when you’re not sure if you can make it out. You feel stressed, overwhelmed, and exhausted. On the other hand, you want to be social and make the most of your weekend. Find some middle ground by having a girls’ night in! Here are a few ideas to get planning on yours.

Glitter: Make some glittery banner letters. Paint glitter onto your wine bottles or make cute glitter mugs. You can even cover balloons in glitter! Pinterest has tons of great ideas on how to incorporate fun glitter into your GNI decorations.

Makeup station: Tap into your inner pre-teen and set up a beauty bar. Lay out an assortment of lipsticks, nail polish, and eye makeup for you and your gal pals. (Make sure to use your own brushes and your own eye makeup only, though.)

Sundae bar: No girls’ night is complete without a buffet of sweets. Buy a few flavors of ice cream and some complementary toppings—sprinkles, chocolate syrup, caramel syrup, cookie bits, whipped cream, and anything else you feel like putting on your dessert.

Truth or dare: Play the classic game from elementary school and up the stakes. Make the truths deeper and the dares funnier. Embrace the childlike game with a childlike sense of humor.

“Phones Away” rule: Make a rule among your girlfriends that you have to put your phones away. This will help you spend time with each other and really stay in the moment. Plus, you’ll be able to avoid sending that text message you know you’ll regret in the morning!

Throwback playlist:  Make a throwback playlist that encapsulates your middle school and high school years. Whether it’s “Tik Tok” by Ke$ha, “Obsessed” by Mariah Carey, “One Two Step” by Ciara, “1000 Miles” by Vanessa Carlton, “Toxic” by Britney Spears, “Irreplaceable” by Beyoncé, “Umbrella” by Rihanna, or any other great song you loved back in the day, have fun dancing around to the fun songs you used to jam out to.

Chick flicks: Top off the night with a good movie. For example, Mean Girls, The Notebook, She’s All That, He’s Just Not That Into You, This Means War, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Legally Blonde, 13 Going On 30, John Tucker Must Die, Pitch Perfect, or Clueless.

Pancake buffet: The next morning, make some pancakes for your girl group. Make blueberry, banana, chocolate chip, or any other pancake your heart desires! And, don’t forget the syrups—blueberry, maple, strawberry, etc. This is also a great way to use some of those ice cream toppings left over from the night before.

These were just a few suggestions and tips, but get creative and put your own personal twist on it. All that matters in the end is that you and your girlfriends are together, bonding, and having a great time in each others’ company. 

Katie is a senior, and mass communications major on the advertising track with a minor in electronic media and film. Katie loves movies, especially Clue, but the full list is much longer! Her hobbies include writing, watching hilarious YouTube videos, listening to old '80s hits on repeat, and learning all about the hot new memes.