Throwback Thursday Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Halloweek is in full swing! With the first of two Halloweekends under your belt, you’re probably ready to have some relaxing time before Thursday night rolls around.  Before November starts and another Halloween season comes to an end, here’s a list of movies (and a few TV shows) that are sure to cause some nostalgia about childhood Halloweens.

13.  Twitches:

Not one of Disney Channel’s best, but Tia and Tamara Mowry deserve a spot on the list for their years of comedic twin shows/movies.

12. Are You Afraid of the Dark?:

This TV show was consistently argued about in my household, while my older brother wanted to watch, I was never comfortable with it.  To this day I’m still not big on scary movies but I can brave this classic Nickelodeon series for some nostalgic Halloween festivities.

11. It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!:

At some point in time during the last two decades you sat down with your family to watch the special.  Most people outgrow it, I never did.

10. Casper Meets Wendy:

Makes the list mostly because it has a young Hillary Duff wearing classic 90s witch attire and making snide comments that will make anyone crack a smile.

9. Scooby Doo:

Growing up Scooby Doo was acceptable to watch daily and now I’m thinking it at least deserves to be brought up around Halloween, both the cartoon and the movie.  Shaggy and Scooby Doo never really did get over their fear of monsters despite being a part of Monsters Inc.  (On a side note, maybe consider dressing up as one of these iconic characters this year.)

8.  Goosebumps:

Another TV show that most can agree was an integral part of our younger years.  From the books to the show to a possible movie one day, Goosebumps is memorable in so many ways.

7. The Corpse Bride:

Another movie I haven’t seen in so long but it’s a Tim Burton classic, which can be said for pretty much all Tim Burton movies. 

6. Don’t Look Under the Bed:

Of course as kids we didn’t keep our rooms clean most of the time but this movie surely would have scared you into it!

5. Mom’s Got a Date with a Vampire

Let’s face it, having a parent date can be traumatic for kids and this movie makes things better and worse at the same time. It’s a great movie to laugh at but it also can scare a little kid about a parent’s future partner.

4. The Addams Family:

Guilty of never seeing this, I think my background knowledge of the plot means I can guarantee most people will be watching it this week.

3. The Nightmare Before Christmas:

Is it a Christmas movie or a Halloween movie?  Either way – watch it now and again in December. It’s that good of a movie that you won’t care.

2. Hocus Pocus:

Everyone loves this movie. From single along with the witch chant to making fun of how ugly the witches were, this movie sure sets the town for our childhood Halloweens. Be sure to check ABCFamily to see when it’s playing again.

1. Halloweentown:

If this movie wasn’t a staple part of your childhood Halloweens, I’m not sure you’re actually old enough to be in college.  Re-watching this movie will only further how much you miss DCOMs (anything before High School Musical counts). 

Her Campus Towson does not own any rights to these images.