Spring Break Makeup Tutorial

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Now that spring break is almost here, the only thing left to plan is makeup, hair, clothes, etc. Right? Let’s not try to weigh down our suitcases with makeup as we jet set off to a new location. Here is a makeup tutorial, with the fewest amount of products possible, to look perfectly polished during the day and vamped up at night  with just the addition of 4 products to your look. 

For the day: 

1. Start with a clean face and apply a quarter-sized amount of tinted moisturizer with your fingers. I like to use Sonia Kashuk Radiant Tinted Moisturizer with SPF 15 and is found at Target. This will keep the makeup look light, but also will help even out your skin tone with SPF included to help protect your face from the sun.

2. Next, use a lip and cheek stain. I like to use Benefit’s Benetint because it’s the perfect rosy pink color and can be found at Ulta or Sephora in this smaller size that comes with a lip gloss. Apply this with three dots on your cheeks and blend out and apply to your lips to give them a stain. Also apply a clear lip gloss to your lips for an added shine.

3. Use a shimmery champagne and white eye shadow and apply them to the lid to give the eyes a fresh look but also keeping it natural.  I like using the Naked Palette by Urban Decay with the colors virgin and sin. This palette is a bit pricey but the eye shadows are high quality and the array of neutral eye shadows can be great for any look.

4. Next, apply brown eyeliner to the top lash line and smudge it with either a cotton swab or eye shadow brush to soften the look. I like using the Lancome Le Crayon Kohl in Black Coffee because it is often a free gift with purchase and smudges well so the look is soft and blends well into the eye shadows.

5. Apply mascara of your choice! One of my all time favorites is Covergirl’s Lashblast Volume in the orange tube because it thickens the lashes very nicely and doesn’t flake. This is also a drugstore mascara so when you need a new tube, you won’t have to break the bank. 

For Night:

1. Add dark brown colors to the crease to deepen and darken the eyes for a sultrier look. There’s nothing like a night on the town with some of your girlfriends with a neutral smoky eye! I like using the Naked Palette by Urban Decay with the colors darkhorse and smog to create a gradient effect with the colors starting from lightest to darkest starting with virgin, then sin, smog and darkhorse on the outer corner making sure they blend well together
  2. For the eyes, add a line of black liquid liner [Not Pictured] and wing it out slightly for a bit of drama! I like using Loreal Lineur Intense because the felt-tip applicator makes applying liquid liner easy. 

3. Apply a light bronzer to your face for an allover glow to add to that beautiful tan you achieved throughout the day. I prefer NYC Smooth Skin Bronzing Powder in Sunny because it is matte so you won’t look too glittery and it isn’t too orange either, which let’s be honest, the orange look is not cute.

4. For a finishing touch add a bit of red color with red lipstick. The eyes are neutral enough to add red lipstick without looking like a clown. No one wants that either, especially going out with girlfriends on spring break! I like to use NYX’s Soft Matte Lipcream in Amsterdam because it lasts all night and doesn’t require touchups. The worst thing throughout the night has to be taking a break to reapply your makeup.

With these few steps you, too, can have a flawless makeup look for day and night during spring break! Looking perfectly fresh-faced during the day and adding just a few more products to add a bit of drama for going out during the best spring break ever. Now, pack your bags and have the time of your lives, ladies, you won’t want to miss out on this one!

Alexandra (Ali) Pannoni is a senior at Towson University majoring in journalism with a minor in theatre. She is the founder and editor-in-chief of Her Campus Towson. As the Campus Celebrity columnist for Her Campus Towson, Ali has interviewed Country Music Superstar Chuck Wicks and Major League Baseball Player Casper Wells. In Spring 2012 she was an editorial intern with Baltimore magazine. Currently she is an intern for the nationally syndicated radio morning show, The Kane Show, heard locally on HOT 99.5 in Washington D.C. and Z104.3 in Baltimore.  You can view some of her published work for Baltimore magazine on her website. She loves reading magazines, (attempting) to run, and hanging out with friends and family.