Republican Women who are the Life of the Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Our first Republican woman is Senator Joni Ernst. Senator Ernst is not only the first female senator from Iowa, but she’s also the first female combat veteran to serve in the Senate. Ernst is also a Lieutenant Colonel in the Iowa National Guard and served during Operation Iraqi Freedom. She won her seat in the 2014 Election by defeating Democrat Bruce Braley. During her campaign she also had what I believe is one of the greatest campaign ads of all time. She also delivered the official Republican response to the 2015 State of the Union in January.

Mia Love is the first African American Republican woman to represent Utah in Congress. The daughter of Haitian immigrants, Love served as the mayor of Saratoga Springs, Utah from 2014-2014. She first ran for Congress in 2012 but lost by a slim margin. In 2014 she won the Congressional race for Utah’s 4th District by 4,000 votes. Love believes in fiscal discipline, personal responsibility, and limited government.

I love everything about Sarah Palin. She has style, class, and a little bit of sass. Palin was the first female Governor of Alaska from 2006-2009 and the Republican Vice Presidential Candidate for Senator John McCain in the 2008 election. She also served as the Mayor of Wasilla and has written two books: Going Rogue and America by Heart. She is also a possible candidate for the 2016 presidential election.

Elise Stefanik is the youngest woman ever to be elected to Congress. She represents New York’s 21st district and defeated Democratic candidate Matthew Doheny this past November. In January Stefanik was appointed to the House Committee on Armed Services. When she graduated from Harvard University with honors she worked on the Domestic Policy Council of the George W. Bush Administration.

Ernst, Love, Palin, and Stefanik are just a few of the amazing Republican women who are creating change in this country. There are countless others including Condoleeza Rice, the former Secretary of State; Michelle Malkin a New York Times bestselling author and blogger; New Mexico governor Susanna Martinez, the first female Hispanic governor in American History. Some people say that the GOP has a war on women and want to take away their rights, I say that’s false because women are thriving in the Republican party, no one is having their rights taken away, and Republican women will continue to thrive as the years go on.

Junior at Towson University. Political Science major, Mass Communication minor. Raised Right. Lover of all things figure skating, the Baltimore Ravens, coffee and mixed drinks. Twitter: @Melliiisssaaaa Instagram: @Melliiissssaaaaa