Ray Rice’s Visit to Towson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

On Friday, Ray Rice, running back for the Baltimore Ravens, held a special event in SECU Arena to help spread the message that we should all be standing up to bullying. Fans and their families from all over the state of Maryland came to the event in support of his foundation and to hear his message. 

The event started out with a message from Maryland’s first lady, Katie O’Malley, who talked about the success Maryland has made as a state on the fight against cyber bullying. Grace’s Law is a bill that was passed this April after a 15-year old teenager named Grace McComas committed suicide after becoming overwhelmed with the bullying she was receiving on social media. Maryland is now one of only 15 states where internet bullying can be punished.

Katie O’Malley talking about Grace’s Law.

O’Malley was followed by Grace’s sister and her mom, Chris, who told the story of her daughters fight. A chill fell over the arena as everyone could hear the hurt and pain that Mrs. McComas still struggled with. It was something the McComas family helped their daughter and sister work through over the few months before she decided to take her own life. She also shared the struggle they had getting an attorney to regulate the online bullying, which is what inspired Grace’s Law. We often don’t take into account how much words can hurt. Whether you say them in person or online where millions of people can see, words cut deep and there are ways to get your point across without being mean and spiteful. 

The next speaker was Ray Rice himself. He talked about how he works very closely with the McComas family to share Grace’s story because there needs to be an end to bullying. He brought a young boy by the name of Malachi who was once bullied but aspires to be an actor. It was really cute because Malachi was wearing the same outfit as Rice. Malachi was presented with several gifts including surprise appearances from actors Quinton Aaron, who played Michael Oher in “The Blindside,” and Eric Martinez. He was also given the chance to appear in three upcoming films, each of which starred at least one of the two actors. 

Quinton Aaron surprising Malachi on the court at SECU Arena.

During intermission, Ray Rice went over to the blechers to take pictures with some of the kids who came out to hear his speech. The intermission was followed by the 2011 movie “Bully” which follows several students as they tell their stories of bullying. 

Ray Rice taking pictures with the kids during intermission.

We may be older than some of the children in attendance but bullying can happen to anyone, especially in today’s age of social networking. The greatest thing I took away from this event was a quote from Eric Martinez. He said, “Your opinion costs me nothing therefore I pay you no mind.” Suggesting that we are all stronger than anyone who bullies us as long as we don’t give them the time of day.

Erin is a Mass Communications student at Towson University studying Journalism, Advertising and Public Relations. She is the Editor-In-Chief, Campus Correspondent and President of Her Campus Towson. Erin has been writing for Her Campus Towson since fall 2011 and worked as an intern for Sister 2 Sister Magazine in summer 2013. She competed in the 2012 Miss Maryland USA pageant and has since done some print modeling as a hobby.