New Video of Ray Rice Creates Uproar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Monday morning, a new, disturbing surveillance video of Baltimore Ravens Running Back, Ray Rice, was released by TMZ Sports that shocked viewers and has lead to Rice’s termination from the Ravens as well as a suspension from the National Football League. The video shows Rice and Janay Palmer, his wife (then fiancé), inside the elevator of an Atlantic City hotel where Rice knocks Palmer out cold with one punch to her face then drags her body out into the hotel lobby. An outpour of angry emotions came from viewers after watching the video. Ravens Owner, Steve Bisciotti, wrote a letter to fans Tuesday apologizing for their inaction, acknowledgeding that they failed as an organization to investigate the matter more. He also announced that the Ravens have recently began a partnership with House of Ruth, an organization that helps abused women find safety.  

Many people believe Rice should have been more severely punished by the NFL when this issue first came about in February of this year. He was only suspended for two season games, without pay, on the charge of aggravated assault. Roger Goodell, Commissioner of the NFL, now acknowledges that this was a light penalty for such a serious matter. It sent a message from the NFL that “boys will be boys” which is insulting and inexcusable.

On social media, people have expressed that Rice should be given a second chance and it is a mistake made by the Ravens to let him go. While I too am disappointed that one of my favorite players had to end his career in Baltimore like this, football is just a game and the issue of domestic violence is much greater than that. The NFL has enormous power, as a 10 billion dollar company, as well as responsibility to set standards and set an example of what is acceptable and what is not. As of now, Rice’s contract is suspended indefinitely so it will be interesting to see what happens next.

As a girl, a Ravens fan, and citizen of Baltimore, I appreciate the actions taken by the Ravens and the NFL although I wish it had come sooner. It is unfortunate that such an upsetting video needed to be surfaced in order for action to take place; those who chose to ignore the matter should be held accountable. It is never okay — no matter the circumstances —  those who feel that they can abuse others should be punished. Not even a professional athlete is above the law so terminating Rice’s contract sends a very clear message that if you cannot act like a Raven, you cannot play like one either.

Image by: Patrick Semansk/AP