Movies to Look Forward to This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

A new school year welcomes in countless opportunities: making new friends, getting involved in more activities, fall weather, and film releases. Here’s a list of some of the exciting movies coming out in the next few months!

The Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

September 18, 2015

Following last year’s release of the first installment in the Maze Runner films, Scorch Trials picks up right where the first movie left off. Thomas and the others from the Glade find themselves in an entirely different kind of maze, equally as difficult to survive. While traveling through a “scorching” desert, the Gladers continue to search for answers and take down WCKD.

Returning actors Dylan O’Brien (Teen Wolf), Kaya Scodelario (Skins), Thomas Brodie-Sangster (Game of Thrones), and Ki Hong Lee (The Nine Lives of Chloe King) star alongside fresh faces to the franchise such as Aidan Gillen (Game of Thrones), Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad), Rosa Salazar (Insurgent), and Nathalie Emmanuel (Game of Thrones). Scorch Trials is sure to keep you on the edge of your seat.

The Intern

September 25, 2015

70-year-old Ben Whittaker is hired as an intern for a web-based clothing company run by Jules Ostin. The film features actors Robert De Niro (Meet the Fockers), Anne Hathaway (The Devil Wears Prada), Adam DeVine (Pitch Perfect), Anders Holm (Workaholics), Nat Wolff (Paper Towns), Rene Russo (Thor), and Broadway’s Andrew Rannells (Girls). The Intern is a heartwarming tale about the strength of friendship, regardless of age.

Goosebumps

October 16, 2015

Iconic writer of the spooky reads from the 90s, R.L. Stine’s fictional and nightmarish monsters are set loose. Zach, Hannah, and R.L. Stine must work together to capture the creatures before they completely destroy Greendale, Maryland. The movie stars actors such as Jack Black (School of Rock), Dylan Minnette (Scandal), Odeya Rush (The Giver), Halston Sage (Paper Towns), Ken Marino (Wet Hot American Summer), and Amy Ryan (The Office). Goosebumps is sure to entertain old fans of the original book series and younger viewers of the film.

Crimson Peak

October 16, 2015

If you’re looking for a creepier Halloween flick, Crimson Peak will most definitely fright and delight. Edith Cushing moves into a secluded mansion with her husband Sir Thomas Sharpe and his sister Lady Lucille Sharpe. Edith soon discovers that the house has secrets hidden in its walls that are much more animated than the average. The cast includes Mia Wasikowska (Alice in Wonderland), Tom Hiddleston (The Avengers), Jessica Chastain (Interstellar), Jim Beaver (Supernatural), and Charlie Hunnam (Sons of Anarchy).

Suffragette

October 23, 2015

Suffragette depicts the story of the birth of feminism set in nineteenth century Britain. Starring Carey Mulligan (The Great Gatsby), Meryl Streep (The Devil Wears Prada), Helena Bonham Carter (Harry Potter), Anne-Marie Duff (Shameless), Natalie Press (My Summer of Love), and Ramola Garai (One Day). This emotional drama is sure to encourage female empowerment.

Spectre

November 6, 2015

James Bond is at it again as he sets out to dismantle the corrupt group known as Spectre. Spectre will be the 24th Bond film and 4th starring Daniel Craig as James Bond. The film features actors Ralph Fiennes (Harry Potter), Monica Bellucci (The Matrix), Léa Seydoux (The Grand Budapest Hotel), Christoph Waltz (Django Unchained), Dave Bautista (Guardians of the Galaxy), and Andrew Scott (Sherlock) with returning Skyfall cast members Ben Wishaw (Cloud Atlas) and Naomie Harris (Pirates of the Caribbean).

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2

November 20, 2015

Katniss Everdeen returns to the silver screen in the final installment of the Hunger Games film franchise. Katniss is on a mission to take down the Capitol once and for all in an intense battle sure to leave scars on its citizens and film viewers. Actors Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook), Josh Hutcherson (Bridge to Terabithia), Liam Hemsworth (The Expendables 2), Woody Harrelson (Zombieland), Elizabeth Banks (Pitch Perfect), Sam Claffin (Snow White and the Huntsman), Jena Malone (Donnie Darko), Natalie Dormer (Game of Thrones), Stanley Tucci (Easy A), Julianne Moore (Crazy Stupid Love), Donald Sutherland (The Italian Job), and Philip Seymour Hoffman (Capote) return.

Star Wars, Episode VII: The Force Awakens

December 18, 2015

The battle begins again as the classic characters return to theatres for another installment in George Lucas’s epic saga. The film welcomes back veteran characters such as Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamil), Princess Leia (Carrie Fischer), Han Solo (Harrison Ford), Wicket (Warwick Davis), Chewbacca (Peter Mayhew), R2-D2 (Kenny Baker) and C-3PO (Anthony Daniels).

The film introduces new actors to the franchise including Oscar Isaac (Inside Llewyn Davis), Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead), Lupita Nyong’o (12 Years a Slave), Gwendoline Christie (Game of Thrones), Domhnall Gleeson (About Time), Adam Driver (Girls), and Andy Serkis (The Lord of the Rings).

Sisters

December 18, 2015

Amy Poehler and Tina Fey team up again in this hilarious and long-awaited comedy about two sisters that throw one final party before their parents sell their childhood home. This killer cast includes familiar SNL faces like Maya Rudolph, Rachel Dratch, Kate McKinnon, and Bobby Moynihan. The film also features actors like John Cena (Trainwreck), John Leguizamo (Moulin Rouge), James Brolin (Catch Me If You Can), Ike Barinholtz (The Mindy Project), Dan Byrd (A Cinderella Story), and Santino Fontana (Frozen), to name a few. Sisters is guaranteed to be a great way to de-stress after finals.  

Katie is a senior, and mass communications major on the advertising track with a minor in electronic media and film. Katie loves movies, especially Clue, but the full list is much longer! Her hobbies include writing, watching hilarious YouTube videos, listening to old '80s hits on repeat, and learning all about the hot new memes.