Let the (Theme) Parties Begin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Looking for more ways to unwind over the weekend? Tired of going to the same parties over and over again? Throw your own party with one of these fun themes!

Rubik’s Cube Party: Everyone comes dressed in a bunch of different colors. Throughout the night, people swap pieces of clothing until they’re wearing just one color. Super easy for everyone to get ready for!

Humans vs. Zombies: Without the actual danger, dress up as either a human or a zombie. At the party—once you’re all in your costumes—you can play an intense game of Capture the Flag or Tag outside. If you don’t have a big enough space to run around in (classic apartment life) or it’s just too darn cold outside, turn on a zombie movie—like ‘Zombieland,’ ’28 Days Later’ or ‘Dawn of the Dead’—and play a competitive game with two teams: Zombies against Humans. You and your friends can hang out together and just relax in your costumes.

00’s Party: We all love a good 80’s themed party, but what about throwing it back to some Fergie or Solja Boy?? Dress up in your favorite outfits from middle school and jam out to those songs you used to love. The nostalgia will be undeniable and make middle school not seem as awful as it once was.

‘Breakfast Club’ Party: Celebrate this March 23 by embracing the high school stereotypes from the iconic John Hughes film, ‘The Breakfast Club’ (1985). Everyone comes dressed as a jock, a geek, a princess, a basket case or a rebel. Pop in the film and quote along with your friends.

Murder Mystery Party: Looking for a more structured theme? Create your own murder mystery game for a fun evening. Everyone comes dressed as their assigned character and acts that way until the mystery is solved. If you’re nervous about writing up your own murder mystery, there are tons of templates for free online.

Extreme Games Party: Get ready for the most intense games competition of all time. Make a huge list of all of your favorite games to play with your friends. Create a scoreboard and tally up the winners throughout the night. The competition will keep you all energized and having a good time.

I recently had a Games Grand Prix with some of my friends. We played Clue, Life, Phase 10, Mario Kart, Salad Bowl, Ride the Bus, Kings and Cards Against Humanity. We even made up nicknames, marathon game rules for the night and t-shirts! You can get as wild as you want with these games, which is just the way to wind down from a tough week of studying.

So, go get your party hats and let the party start!

*This article does not condone underage drinking. If you are under the age of 21, you should not be consuming alcohol. If you are over the age of 21, please consume alcohol safely and responsibly. 

Katie is a senior, and mass communications major on the advertising track with a minor in electronic media and film. Katie loves movies, especially Clue, but the full list is much longer! Her hobbies include writing, watching hilarious YouTube videos, listening to old '80s hits on repeat, and learning all about the hot new memes.