iPhone 6 Series: Should You Buy One?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus came out on September 19 and as usual, people lined up for hours at Apple stores around the world just to get their hands on them. Although each iPhone release in the past has attracted many people who wait over night to buy a new phone, this time was different. The new iPhone 6 attracted even more people with its bigger screen, and the iPhone 6 Plus attracted even more people for its even bigger screen! According to Apple, the iPhone 6 series made two new Apple records! Within the first 24 hours, over 4 million iPhone 6 devices were sold and in three days, over 10 million were sold! This would obviously show that the iPhone 6 series was popular and ultimately successful, right? Well, apparently there are a number of people who appear to be unhappy with the new iPhone 6 series.

Personally, I love the new iPhones. Actually, my whole family does. My parents, my brother, and I have all had multiple iPhone’s in the past, and this time around, my father preordered four iPhone 6 Plus’ at 3 AM on September 12. While everyone was running around and pushing through crowds on the 19th to get their phones, I patiently waited for mine to arrive on the 23rd. When I told people that I was getting an iPhone 6 Plus, there were mixed reactions. There were some mouths that dropped open and thought it was unbelievable and then there were those people that squinted their eyes and pursed their lips questioning why I would want it. At first I would just respond that I want it because… well, I just wanted it! But when I continually had more and more people asking me why I wanted the iPhone 6 Plus, I began to get annoyed. Why can’t I buy something that I want, just because I want it? Do I have to explain that I want a phone with a bigger screen? Is it necessary to explain that I want a phone with a better battery life? I am getting the iPhone 6 Plus because I want the iPhone 6 Plus!

Beside getting annoyed with the constant offensive questioning, I am also annoyed with what I hear people saying about the new iPhone’s. There is a class I am in where the professor asks us if there is any topic that we would like to discuss before class starts (we’ve previously discussed things such as Ray Rice and explained hashtags). She actually started the discussion on the new iPhones because she didn’t know much about it. The first comment that was said was, “They’re only copying Android”. Then someone followed up with, “Apple is going to get sued.” Can I just say that I am over this Apple vs. Android competition that everyone is hung up on? Also, larger phones and larger screens don’t belong to Android. They are not patented — again, they don’t belong to anyone — so could someone explain how Apple would be sued? Apple wants to appeal to their customers, so they decided to alter the new iPhone’s in order to keep up with the desires of a majority of people. Besides, if the new iPhone is not something that you want, then simply don’t get it and don’t worry about it.

Going along with something that has recently annoyed me, there is this business about “bendgate”. If you don’t know, bendgate is something that has recently started after people complained that their phones were starting to bend after carrying them in their pockets. It intensified when this video was put online:

People were seriously going crazy over the fact that someone was able to bend the iPhone 6 Plus with their bare hands! But let’s think about this for a second. How many people are actually going to take their phone and try to bend it in half? How many people will put enough pressure on their phone for it to bend? In the video, the man says that he believes that the phone will bend if your pants are tight enough. Personally, I think that if your phone is bending in your pocket, then you are definitely doing activities where you shouldn’t have a phone in your pocket, or your pants are seriously way too tight. A bent iPhone should be the least of your worries. However, if you are paranoid that your precious iPhone 6 Plus will bend, here’s a video that shows you that putting a case on your phone (which everyone should do anyway) will definitely save your phone from this danger:

I guess the main reason I feel so passionate about this situation is because it seems that people are trying to purposely look for faults with Apple and the new iPhones. Former Apple executive Ken Segall even said, “To me, the story isn’t that Apple created a sub-standard product … Because it didn’t. The real story is that all these people were so quick to believe that Apple had screwed up in such a monumental way — and then joyfully helped blast this ‘news’ into the public consciousness.” If you were thinking about buying an iPhone 6 or an iPhone 6 Plus, don’t let this ridiculous “scandal” change your mind. As with every phone, you should be careful and cautious. If you take care of your iPhone it will stay in perfect condition and you will have a phone that you love for a long time!

Kelsey is a junior at Towson University. She is a mass communications major with tracks in public relations, advertising, and journalism and minoring in marketing. Kelsey loves One Direction, 80s movies, K-pop, and makeup. She spends her spare time watching Asian dramas, writing, googling random things, and searching for the next makeup product she wants from Sephora. Other than studying and writing for Her Campus, Kelsey likes to go to new cities and attend as many concerts as she can. She is also currently nursing a broken heart due to Zayn Malik. Twitter: @kelseyjswann Instagram: @kelsey.swann