I’m a Barbie Girl, in a Barbie World!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Barbie has been involved as an integral part of a young girls life. Barbies are the “go-to” Christmas and Birthday gift that a girl receives growing up. Along with the doll, comes the lifestyle. She has the layout of a fabulous life with a plethora of career skills, a never-ending wardrobe, a fine boyfriend named Ken, an array of hot pink automobiles and even vacation real estate. It’s as though Barbies are the default and template for the perfection and luxury that girls can achieve in life. Barbie has made some controversy since it was first introduced in 1959, but 55 years later, Barbie has made a major step towards being a Barbie girl that represents different women in the world. 

Barbies body type has been relatively the same for 55 years. She has a slim figure, large bust, small waist, long torso, small feet and a really good makeup artist. Her body type is disproportionate to what would be realistic for a human woman especially because women have several different body types, ethnic backgrounds, hair textures and eye colors. After years of Barbie body image discussion and plummeting sales, Mattel decided to make the change to create a line of Barbies that represent more women in today’s population. The new Barbies include petite, curvy, and tall body types. The 2016 Barbie Fashionistas Doll line has added 7 skin tones, 22 eye colors, and 24 hairstyles. Now Barbie doesn’t have to wear heels ALL the time! The dolls are available online starting February 4, 2016 and they will available in-stores in Spring 2016. #The Doll Evolves 

Mattel has been making incremental steps in the rebranding process of Barbie before they made this big reveal. Barbie has incorporated a new message in it’s advertising. 

In October 2015, Barbie featured a boy in its advertising for the first time ever. This opens up the dialouge about gender roles and the common perception that boys aren’t supposed to play with dolls. 

Barbie also released an advertisement with a message to let girls know that they can be anything they want to be. Barbie has such an extensive resume of over 150 careers so just imagine the possibilities that you can have! 

Mattel made a Sheroes collection in April 2015 with dolls of influential women such as Selma Director, Ava DuVernay. 

Disney Star, Zendaya, also has her own Barbie doll with the iconic locs she wore to Oscars in February 2015.

Representation is an important factor in what motivates people to believe that they can succeed. “Wow, she looks like,” is a statement that young girls should be able to say about any of the influential women in this world and their Barbie dolls, of course. #TheDollEvolves

My name is Josephine Hill I consider myself to be an artist in every facet of my existence! Makeup Artist (MUA) - Model - Painter - Writer - Fashionista I'm from the D (M) V I currently attend Towson University I am a Mass Communications Major Contact: jhill24@students.towson.edu Follow me on Twitter: @LadyJo_LovesU Be friends with me on Facebook: Josephine Hill