Wellness > Mental Health

How to Support Someone with Mental Health Issues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Dealing with a mental illness is something that can be overwhelming, especially when trying to balance it with classes.  Many people in their lifetime will come across someone who has a diagnosed mental disorder, whether it be anxiety, depression, bipolar, personality, substance abuse, eating disorders, etc..  But, the best thing you can do is be there for them.  Although it is not as often talked about, mental illness is just as real and serious as any physical illness.  If you are uncertain on how to react or help when someone opens up to you on this, I hope these tips below could be of assistance!

Provide your support

Allow them to express their feelings to you and comfort them by letting them know they are not alone.

• Show that you care.  It’s important that they feel like you genuinely care about them and their well being.
  • Being generally available for them is nice.  It lets them know someone is there.
  • Educate yourself about your friends disorder.  
  • Don’t be afraid to do some research.  There are plenty of websites with information from specialized doctors who are qualified to provide online information and tools.

Listen

If your friend or roommate begins venting to you about what they’re going through, don’t ignore it.

• Limit the advice you want to give them and set aside any concerns you have.  No one wants to hear that they have a “problem.”
  • Respect the information, especially if they decide to confide in you about what they’re going through.  Don’t disclose any of their information to other friends or other people.
  • Simply ask them: “I want to know how I can support you?”
  • If you notice them struggling with classes, offer to study with them!

The only exception is talk of suicide. If they bring up suicide, reach out to a professional and get help!  There are hotlines that will keep the information private but provide advice that will help the person in need.  If you, a friend, or anyone you know is considering suicide, please call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at: 1-800-273-8255

Reassurance

Most people with a mental illness sometimes tend to drift away from family and friends.

• It’s important to let them know you still want them to be around.
  • Try inviting them out to dinner, a movie, school events, or studying. 
  • Even if they decline the invitation, it’s still comforting for them to know you want them around.

Support healthy behavior

Certain tactics, such as getting enough sleep, eating healthy, and exercising can be helpful.

• Try inviting them out for a walk or run.
  • Cooking healthier food options together.
  • Getting them involved in any kind of activities that interest them.

Any mental illness is as serious as a physical illness.  Being a supportive friend shows how much you care. In your lifetime, you are bound to know someone who is dealing with a mental illness and you may not know how to help.  But, I hope these tips above can guide you on how to be a great support system.

Hey guys welcome to my Her Campus profile! Here you will find my articles and ideas I’ve written thus far. I am    currently a junior, Major in Mass Communications with the concentration track of journalism. I’ve recently joined Her Campus this fall. Im looking forward to being apart of this chapter for the year! Along with Her Campus, I am also part of Towson’s Towerlight Newspaper. Some fun facts about is that I like to read, listen to music, write poetry, adventure ,and drink tons of  caramel machiattos. Check out my social media ! Instagram;raquellalfaro Twitter;raquelllmaria_
Her Campus

Towson '25