How to Stay Up When College is Getting you Down

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Okay, so we’ve all had those days (or weeks) (or months). Ya know, the kind of time period where nothing goes your way — Starbucks gets your order wrong, you get your period, you spill something all over your laptop, you have relationship issues, you get that exam grade back and it’s exactly as bad as you thought it would be, your favorite character from a TV show dies, you lose your OneCard, and then you’re expected to go to class and learn and take everything in. These stretches are totally normal, right? But at the time, it feels like the universe has a personal vendetta against you and you alone. But here’s some good news for you – you can get through it! The bad week will end and there will be a light at the end of the tunnel! Here are some ways to make your bad times better.

1.    Take at least an hour to just relax.

Put on some sweats, take your makeup off, Get in bed, watch some Shondaland. Your body and mind go through a lot in a day, so taking some time to unwind is necessary. AND you will feel better.

2.    Listen to some feel-good music.

Spotify. Apple Music. 8Tracks. All good music streaming sites that have playlists for every possible mood you could be in! Put on some pumped-up tunes and get happy!

3.    Surround yourself with good people

Your friends can make a world of difference. If your friends are long-distance, try Facetiming or getting a group Skype going. Talking everything out to people who really care and understand how you’re feeling will be such a relief.

4.    Eat your feelings

Now it’s always good to eat healthy, and I love a good juice cleanse as much as the next person, but sometimes it is much needed to just stuff your face with as much McDonald’s as possible. A Big Mac is bad for your health, but good for your feels.

5.    Go Out!

It seems like a simple and silly thing to say is a solution to a bad week, but surrounding yourself with lots of people having fun can bring your mood up! Add in some good music and killer Instagram pictures, and you have yourself a good night!

6.    Sleep!

Your body rejects basically everything if you don’t get enough sleep. No matter how bad the day is you need to recharge your batteries so you can kick the next day’s butt!

7.    Be Grateful

Take a little time each day to realize all the good things. Most of the time, you realize you’re pretty lucky. And no matter how dark the clouds are, there’s still a sun shining brightly somewhere!

8.    Know that there’s always tomorrow!

So often, life will exhaust you, but it’s very important to keep in mind that tomorrow is a new day, and new and exciting things can and will happen. Keep smiling and keep pushing through! Everything will be okay in the end. 

I do film and I love equality and Pinterest and also coffee.