Five Tips for Focusing during Spring Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Warm weather has arrived! We can finally take off all the layers of winter clothes and throw on shorts and a t-shirt. Summer is around the corner all you have to do is focus long enough to get through finals. The problem with good weather is the inability to stay focused on schoolwork.  All you want to do is go outside and soak in the vitamin D! Here are five tips to help you stay focused in order to finish the semester strong:

1.  Limit distractions!

Warm weather equals distraction. In order to study you should find the least distracting place. Whether it’s a secluded place in the shade or in a cool seat at Cook Library. Just make sure you don’t find yourself sitting right by the window, it will only lead to daydreaming about being outside. If you decide to go outside to study stay away from loud places, being next to the cute boys playing Frisbee, which will only make focusing harder.

2.  Set goals and reward yourself when you finish things on your list.

The best way to get things done is to set goals and reward yourself when you finish something. Study for an hour and then take a break outside. This way you get studying done and get to enjoy the nice weather.

3.  Do some spring cleaning!

Act like Snow White and whistle with the birds while you clean your dorm room. Make sure you clean off your desk and make everything neat. Cleaning will help you stay organized and give you a fresh start before studying. 

4.  Get active: helps memory, energy and focus.

Bikini season is almost upon us. If you are anything like me it takes a lot to get you to the gym. Well here’s another reason you should go and work out: Getting active in the spring will help you focus by increasing energy and memory.

5.  Stay organized — make a list!

Making lists can be therapeutic. If you make a list of all the stuff you need to focus on you can get a better idea of what needs to be done and are less likely to procrastinate. Also crossing out the things you finish feels great!

Sophomore at Towson University. Mass Communications with a track in Journalism and New Media and a marketing minor. I am a jersey girl. Love the beach, reading and hanging with my friends. Twitter: @sehardt23