Fangirling for Food: Miss Shirley’s Cafe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

I’d like to think of myself somewhat of a foodie because I like to eat and I am very open to trying new things. One of the place I have been dying to visit is Miss Shirley’s Cafe. Everyone rants and raves about how good the food is so I just had to try it. I’ve waited about 2 semesters to actually make this trip happen and I am so glad I did.

The food at Miss Shirley’s is A-MAZ-ING! Not only did it taste good, the presentation was outstanding (the plates were really pretty too!). I went to the location in the Inner Harbor with four friends from my internship and we all got something different and we enjoyed it all! Not to mention the service was really fast and not messy at all. We had our food within 15 minutes of ordering.

The menu was overflowing with choices. And I’m so indecisive that it took me a few minutes to wrap my head around all of the possibilities of meals I could put together. I decided to order Mini Belgian Waffles topped with strawberries and whipped cream and a side of stone ground grits with diced bacon. Oh. Em. Gee. My taste buds were extremely happy. And the whipped cream was definitely homemade and the best I have ever tasted.

I’ve never been the “oatmeal for breakfast” type. I’ve always called it a “pot of boogers” because I simply can not stand the texture of it. One of my friends choose the “Peachy Pie Steel Cut Oatmeal” and it looked, smelled and tasted amazing. By far the only oatmeal I will ever eat! 

Another one of my friends got the Cinnamon Danish Pancakes and it was like nothing I’ve ever tasted. Instead of being covered in syrup, they were covered with cream cheese icing and cinnamon sugar. It brought back memories of having funnel cakes at Six Flags in the summer. By far the best pancakes I have ever tasted (and I am a regular at IHOP but of course that’s nowhere near fine dining). 

I won’t lie, the prices at Miss Shirley’s are a little expensive (especially when you’re on a college students salary) but it was a great experience and the food was awesome. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone who loves a good brunch. And if you’re worried about the prices just wait until the fam comes up to visit you and have mom/dad pay for it :)