Dance Responsibly: A Guide to Concert Going

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

With the closing of the semester comes the one weekend during the spring semester that Towson University students anxiously await: Tigerfest. For those of you who might not know what Tigerfest is, it’s a two day festival through the school with concerts, carnival games, and food! I like to think that I’ve been to my fair share of concerts, so I thought I’d give some advice to those of you who maybe aren’t so sure what to do with yourself when you get there.

DON’T wave your hands in the air like you just don’t care…

….because you might knock someone in the head with your elbow. I don’t know about you, but taking an elbow to the head or face is definitely not a good time.

DO dance like nobody’s watching

You’re there to have a good time! You shouldn’t care what other people think of the way you’re movin’ to the groove! Don’t let someone else stop you from having a great time!

DON’T stay seated the entire time

I’ve been to plenty of concerts were the audience stays seated during artists that they don’t know. It’s really awkward when you want to stand up and dance, but you’re the only person in your section doing it. Plus, it must feel awful for the performer(s) to look out on the crowd and see all of these people not having a good time or looking confused and bored.

DO give as much energy to performers that you don’t know as you would to the ones that you do

Your energy will be infectious so if someone else is unsure of what to do with themselves, you’ll set the perfect example!

DON’T stash your valuables in places that other people might have access to

It’s probably not the best idea to stick your phone or wallet somewhere where sneaky hands can grab them off of you.

DO be aware of your surroundings

Whether you’re standing on the floor or sitting up on one of the decks, be aware of the your surroundings and the people around you. You may be there to have a good, carefree time, but someone else might have other motives. If you’re sticking stuff in pockets, make sure they’re deep! You don’t want valuables falling out while you’re dancing along! If you’re going to bring a purse, make sure you keep it in front of your body with the zipper shut and the buttons fastened. Make sure you check it every so often so you know that no one has tampered with it.

DON’T watch the show through your phone

I’ve been to too many concerts where the people around me held their phone up and recorded videos or took pictures of the entire show. When you’re standing there taking a million videos or pictures of the show, you’re not really experiencing what’s actually going on around you! You’re experiencing it through the screen of your phone instead of what’s directly in front of you. It’s especially annoying to the people behind you who actually came to enjoy the show. None of your friends on Snapchat are going to take the time to watch your super long story about the concert you went to.

DO take it all in

You’re only going to have this unique experience once! Sure, you could go see the same band perform a million times. But, each time you go, there will be different people, a different atmosphere, and a different energy. Your texts and snaps will be waiting for you at the end of the show. The only thing that you can really ask of yourself is to be there in the moment and have an amazing time.

I hope some of these nuggets of advice stay at the back of your mind when you go to Tigerfest or really any other concert you might go to! They could definitely enhance your experience by miles. Just remember to stay safe, stay sharp, and have an amazing time!

Libby is a senior at Towson University. She is a mass communications major with a track in advertising as well as two minors in marketing and music industry. Libby loves listening to music, especially alternative rock and indie pop, watching Netflix, hanging out with her two dogs, and researching and reading about family history, both her own and other people's. When she isn't in class, you might find her working behind the counter at Potbelly Sandwich Shop. Instagram: @greisaroni
Her Campus

Towson '25