Childhood Books to Read Again

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Just last week, Harper Lee, the author of To Kill A Mockingbird, announced a future release of another novel. This statement inspired a whirl of nostalgia and desperate desire to experience books like To Kill A Mockingbird again.

1. The Giver by Lois Lowry

Set in a dystopian society that advocates for complete uniformity, Jonas struggles with uniqueness and rebels against the basic oppression of the public.

2. The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton

The Greasers and the Socs, two rival gangs, duke it out in Tulsa, Oklahoma in the mid-1960s, but their feud quickly escalates when Ponyboy and Johnny find themselves in more trouble than they’d anticipated.

3. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll

In these fantastical and surrealist stories, naïve Alice faces many bizarre obstacles “down the rabbit hole” as she tries to make her way back home.

4. A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket

When the Baudelaire children find themselves tragically orphaned after their home catches fire, they are thrown into a life of misfortune by the hands of their distant relative, Count Olaf.

5. The Harry Potter Series by J. K. Rowling

Orphan Harry faces dire conditions while living with his Aunt and Uncle, and their spoiled child Dudley, until he learns that he is a wizard.

6. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Charlie is starting high school and chronicles his freshman year as he makes friends, deals with teenage struggles, and copes with the death of his Aunt and best friend.

7. The Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordan

Percy Jackson is a boy living with ADHD and Dyslexia in New York City with his mother and her horrible boyfriend until he finds out he is the son of Poseidon, God of the Sea.

8. (And, finally) To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Scout experiences racism and prejudice during the Great Depression in Alabama as her father, Atticus Finch, involves himself in the trial of Tom Robinson, an African American man accused of rape. 

Katie is a senior, and mass communications major on the advertising track with a minor in electronic media and film. Katie loves movies, especially Clue, but the full list is much longer! Her hobbies include writing, watching hilarious YouTube videos, listening to old '80s hits on repeat, and learning all about the hot new memes.