Campus Celebrity: Sheila Wenzler

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

“It is what it is”

Meet Sheila Wenzler! She is a Sophomore Mass Communications major, with a duel track in PR and advertising and marketing minor!

What do you do?

“Currently, I am pretty involved on campus. I am on Tower B’s building council, a brother of Phi Sigma Pi National Honors Fraternity (PSP), founding sister of Delta Phi Epsilon, and a Community Center Assistant in Prettyman/Scarborough. I was also an Orientation Leader this past fall.”

When did you start doing it? 

“Last year I was an active member for Prettyman/Scarborough’s council and this year I was President of Tower B’s Council. I started working as a Community Center Assistant in August. This semester I joined both PSP and DPhiE.”

What sparked your interest?

“In the beginning of my freshman year, I really was not involved in anything on campus. I pretty much just went to class and hung out with my friends who lived on my floor. Then, one of my best friends really encouraged me to join Prettyman/Scarborough’s building council as an active member. This was definitely one of the best and most influential decisions I have made here at Towson. University Residents Government is such a welcoming and all-inclusive organization on campus that gives so many leadership opportunities to anyone who wants one. Being an active member started a rippling effect of involvement opportunities for me. Because I had such a positive experience my freshman year with building council, I decided to attempt to run for president of my building. I was so shocked I actually won the race.”

How can someone else get involved with this activity?

“Unfortunately, Building Council is pretty much over for the year. But, if you are living on campus next year keep an eye out for advertisements and such about your building’s elections. You can also reach out to anyone on the HRL staff about how to join.”

Do you have any tips for someone wanting to get involved?

“Go out of your comfort zone when figuring out what to join. The best way to get involved is putting yourself out there. By doing this, you will not only meet tons of new people but in the end it will make you a stronger leader and more independent individual.”

How has this created connections for you personally/ How has it made you grow as a person?

“I came to Towson not knowing a single person because I am the only one here from my high school. URG has definitely allowed me to meet new people and make tons of amazing connections all throughout campus. It has also really given me the opportunity to grow into a leader and become much more responsible and reliable. I can definitely say I am a much more well rounded person than I was coming into college because of URG.”

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

“In 5 years I see myself [hopefully] working at a successful advertising agency in New York City.”

What do you want people to take away from this interview?

“I want whoever reads this to get the inspiration to go out there and get involved. Whether with URG or not, Towson has so many options and there is honestly a place for everyone. Getting involved makes you so much more involved on campus and it really makes you feel like you are a significant part of the community.”

Thank you Sheila, HCXO!

MaryKate is Co President of Towson University's Her Campus Chapter. She is a Senior Communication Studies Major and graduates December 2017. She enjoys Indie Rock music such as Young The Giant, Arctic Monkeys, House of Lions and Catfish and The Bottlemen, just to name a few. She also enjoys chai tea, thrift shopping, Hawaiian pizza and Netflix as much as the next girl.
Her Campus

Towson '25