Campus Celebrity: Ali Towey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

” A job isn’t a job if you’re doing something you love”

Meet Ali! She is a senior Criminal Justice and Psychology major!

1. What do you do?

“I am in Delta Phi Epsilon and I volunteer for TurnAround Domestic Violence Shelter.”

2. When did you start doing it?

“I am a founder of my sorority which i joined last semester. I became a volunteer just this past week and got certified to be a hotline advocate.”

3. What sparked your interest?

“I was interested in my sorority because they were new on campus and I felt I could really show who I was as a person rather than fit an existing mold. The advocates who came to campus from our sorority’s headquarters made me feel like the person I am already, is enough. I am a TurnAround volunteer because I feel like every person can make a difference in this world for someone else no matter how small they think their actions might be. If answering a phone and being there for someone in crisis helps them through their day, then that’s what matters to me. I am also very passionate about making sure people feel safe and secure in the relationships they are a part of.”

4. How can someone else get involved with this activity?

“For interest in Delta Phi Epsilon you can rush in the spring and meet all of our incredible sisters and hopefully find a place where you can be yourself just like I did. TurnAround holds training sessions throughout the year for people who want to be involved in hotline services or ER representatives for victims of domestic violence.”

5. Do you have any tips for someone wanting to get involved?

“My advice would be to go after things you are passionate about. Find passion not only in activities, but for yourself. Explore your interests and advocate for others who might not be able to.”

6. How has this created connections for you personally/ How has it made you grow as a person?

“The sorority has allowed me to grow in so many ways. Not only did I discover who I was as a person, but I also found what I love in other people. The people I surround myself with are ones who I strive to be and who I admire. Each day I look for ways to learn from them and for opportunities to make myself better as a sister, a student and a friend. Volunteering for a domestic violence shelter has opened my eyes to the struggles people face every day that the rest of us might not be aware of. Things happen behind closed doors and everyone deserves to have someone fighting for them.”

7. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

5 years from now I hope to be working towards opening my own practice. I want to counsel people and be a caring individual for people to come to who might not have anyone. Like I said before, i find passion in helping others and in any career I find myself pursuing, I plan to do just that.”

8. What do you want people to take away from this interview?

“I hope that whoever reads this realizes that although you are only one person, you can create change. By fighting for what you believe in, you are making a difference. It may be a difference to only one, or a few people, but that is enough. Your efforts do not go unnoticed no matter how much that may seem to be the case.”

Thank you Ali, HCXO!

MaryKate is Co President of Towson University's Her Campus Chapter. She is a Senior Communication Studies Major and graduates December 2017. She enjoys Indie Rock music such as Young The Giant, Arctic Monkeys, House of Lions and Catfish and The Bottlemen, just to name a few. She also enjoys chai tea, thrift shopping, Hawaiian pizza and Netflix as much as the next girl.