The Body Positivity Series: Life Ruled by Labels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

As women, we rely on labels: the labels on our clothes, our bodies, and our personalities.

The labels on our clothes determine our worth by society’s standards. They tell us that we’re not thin enough, wealthy enough, fashionable enough, or enough in general. Underneath the clothes, our bodies are labeled—pear body shape, heart face shape, endomorph body type, and so on.

We are labeled under different identifiers based on how our personalities are perceived by others. If you’re more in touch with your physical sexuality, you’re labeled as a “slut” or a “whore.” If you stand up for yourself, you’re labeled as “bossy” or a “bitch.” If you’re confident, you’re “stuck up” or “conceited.”

These labels divide us as women—as people—into rigid categories and stereotypes. Once bound by these stereotypes, we are expected to conform to their rules. These stereotypes are formed in high school, but follow well into college.

The worst thing about these stereotypes is that, more often than not, the only way to transcend them is by taking on a different stereotype.

For example, if you were labeled as a “nerd” in high school because of your studious nature, you might be labeled in college as a “party girl” after learning how to let off steam and stress by going out on the weekends.

It’s devastating that we are reduced to such binary roles. It is possible for women to be more than one thing. Women can be strong and girly. Women can be demanding and sweet. Women can be simple and complicated. Women can be anything and everything.

But our labels limit us.

I have had—and probably always will have—a constant, vicious struggle with labels, especially physical. I have always been stuck on the idea that if I wear size 2 jeans and small size dresses, I’ll be seen as beautiful. But…why can’t I be beautiful now?

Again, it’s life ruled by labels. Instead of worrying about size 2 jeans, I should buy the pants that fit me the best. Instead of trying to squeeze myself into a small size dress, I should buy one that accentuates my best features and makes me feel comfortable and confident.

I know I should do all of these things, but I am still held down by labels. If it’s not the physical labels on my clothes, then it’s the labels others give me.

For instance, I woke up one morning in my freshman year to see the word, “SLUT,” written across the whiteboard on my dorm room door. That is a literal representation of a label someone else branded me with.

I can’t escape the labels. We can’t escape the labels.

We can try, though. We can try to escape these labels. It’s not going to be easy, but it will be worth it. Does it start by getting rid of your own labels or taking more on?

Maybe getting rid of labels will only form new ones. Maybe the best way to fight is by taking it all on, embodying every label—being bossy, being kind, being the party girl, being the nerd, being promiscuous, being generous.

Being you.

Katie is a senior, and mass communications major on the advertising track with a minor in electronic media and film. Katie loves movies, especially Clue, but the full list is much longer! Her hobbies include writing, watching hilarious YouTube videos, listening to old '80s hits on repeat, and learning all about the hot new memes.