Best Movies for the Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

This has been one strange February, hasn’t it? It’s 60 degrees out one day, and 30 the next. With the crazy changes in weather, there’s a strong chance we’ll all get sick. (Especially since some weird bug is currently circulating campus…)

When the winter blues (or the horrible sickness that makes you feel like you’re dying inside) get you down, there’s a sure fire cure: time, soup, and movies. Here are some ideas to watch when you catch those contagious winter blues!

10 Things I Hate About You

If you’re looking for a good rom-com to take you away from the gloomy weather outside, 10 Things is a great choice. Starring Julia Stiles and the late Heath Ledger, the ‘Taming of the Shrew’ redux will make your heart melt and put a smile on your face. If you’re someone who’s already seen this movie 10 times (like myself), you’ll know that it’s a good choice!

(Available on Netflix)

Bonus: She’s The Man

For those who want to keep with the Shakespeare modernization theme, this ‘Twelfth Night’ interpretation will have you howling with laughter. Amanda Bynes just wants to play soccer, so she dresses up as a badass, hunky dude to play on the rival school’s boys’ team. Along with cheese-loving co-star, Channing Tatum, this movie is a quotable distraction from those cold chills.

It Follows

If you’re looking for a horror film to scare the crap out of you, It Follows may be the perfect watch. In classic scary movie fashion, after having sex, Jay is cursed by the “it” – which is basically an STD. Even though the “it” walks slower than people at the mall, it never stops following her. Trying to escape the “it” is impossible, which makes the film surprisingly scary. You might want to keep the lights on when you watch this one.

(Available on Netflix)

Bonus: Scream

The Scream movies are one of the most iconic film franchises of all time. Starring Neve Campbell as Sidney Prescott, the Scream movies are hilarious commentary on scary movie cliches. The movies are much more lighthearted (for lack of a better word) than It Follows, and could be a solid cure for that wintertime sadness.

Short Term 12

If you’re looking for an emotional drama, this one will do the trick. You’ll cry, you’ll laugh, and you’ll understand hope in a hopeless environment. Brie Larson plays Grace, the counselor at a residential treatment home for teens. While helping the teens, she learns to confront her own struggles. This movie is heartwarming – a great feeling to have in the frigid cold.

(Available on Netflix)

Bonus: Room

Another movie starring Brie Larson, this Oscar winning film explores the world of an abducted girl and her young son, trapped in one room for seven years. Just like Short Term 12, this one is a real tearjerker and an uplifting look at resilience in a caustic environment.

Sky High

If you’re looking for a childhood movie, Sky High is the one for you. This movie will bring you back to your Disney roots and remind you of simpler superhero times, before Marvel and DC started blowing up the silver screen. Watch Michael Angarano play high school freshman Will Stronghold, son of the two most powerful superheroes on earth. Embrace your inner child with this Disney masterpiece!

(Available on Netflix)

Bonus: Shrek

Need I say more? Shrek is love, Shrek is life.

And lastly, the perfect sick, bluesy movie…

The Princess Bride

Ah, where to begin? The Princess Bride is quotable, memorable, and good-time film. You’ll be laughing the entire time. And, if you’ve seen it before, you’ll be quoting along with it. Do as you wish, and watch this one immediately.

(Available on Netflix)

Bonus: The Princess Bride, again.

Come on, you’re going to do it anyway.

(Still available on Netflix)

Happy watching!
Katie is a senior, and mass communications major on the advertising track with a minor in electronic media and film. Katie loves movies, especially Clue, but the full list is much longer! Her hobbies include writing, watching hilarious YouTube videos, listening to old '80s hits on repeat, and learning all about the hot new memes. 
Her Campus

Towson '25