Best Ideas for a Quick Study Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Now, that we’re all back from Thanksgiving break, academics are whirling into hyperdrive. With less than two weeks of classes left, it’s about time we all retreat into our “Homework Holes” and not resurface until December 20th. Those endless hours of studying can take a serious toll on your concentration, motivation, and inspiration, which makes study breaks a crucial component of surviving the upcoming weeks.

I am a fan of the Netflix Study Break just as much as the next person. Based on how often I watch Netflix while doing work, I’m basically the spokesgirl. (Exhibit A: I’m currently watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix as I write this article.) But with the time crunch coming up, sometimes what appears to be a quick Netflix break can become hours of binge-watching Black Mirror and morphing into an existential puddle in the midst of a personal crisis and mental breakdown. That’s just a random example though, of course. Sure, it sounds specific, but it’s definitely not from personal experience…

Since Netflix breaks are much less than efficient at this time in the semester, how else are we supposed to wind down between writing papers and making flashcards? Here are a few ideas:

If you’re studying at home…

Tidy up. Spring cleaning comes early (or extremely late) this year! Change your sheets, vacuum, do some dusting, clean your entire bathroom until it sparkles, do your laundry. When your space is clean, you feel clean. And, when you feel clean, you can focus.

If you’re studying in the library…

Desk exercises. You’ve probably seen infographics all over Pinterest with examples of desk exercises, like body stretches, seated leg raises, ankle rolls, and tricep dips (which can look kind of strange, but everyone’s delirious during finals week, so no one actually cares what you’re doing as long as you’re quiet). These exercises can warm you up when you’re cold in the library and give you that little burst of energy you need.

If you’re studying anywhere…

Snacktime. I’m sure a better influence would tell you to grab some fruit or almonds for a ~healthy snack~, but honestly… It’s (almost) finals week. As long as you’re eating and getting some form of sustenance, that’s probably good enough. It’s probably better to eat a cute little snack-cup of assorted fruits or some celery and hummus, but if you’ve got to settle for a bag of chips from the vending machine, that is A-OK.

Pro-Tip!

Whatever you do, do NOT get on any social media. Once you start scrolling down that Facebook thread, you’ll find yourself in a click-hole deeper than you ever thought you could be in. Or, you’ll find yourself fighting with random people across the country on Twitter. And, Snapchat is not as “snappy” as you think it is. After all, it does take several tries for the perfect shot of your “cute-ugly” face to send to your friends with a caption that reads, “ugh studying” or “jet fuel can’t melt steel beams.” So, do yourself a favor, and do not decide it’s time to update your tumblr blog theme or break up one of your Pinterest boards into several sub-Pinterest boards. Stay off social media!

Happy studying!
Katie is a senior, and mass communications major on the advertising track with a minor in electronic media and film. Katie loves movies, especially Clue, but the full list is much longer! Her hobbies include writing, watching hilarious YouTube videos, listening to old '80s hits on repeat, and learning all about the hot new memes. 
Her Campus

Towson '25