Album Review: Four by One Direction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

About three weeks ago One Direction’s fourth studio album titled Four hit shelves! It was a highly anticipated album and peaked at number 1 on music charts in over 67 countries. It is evident that as the boys of One Direction grow up, their music follows suit with more mature songs and a stronger presence within the production of their songs. This album is completely different from their first album, which was released in 2011. There were many artists who helped One Direction in the process of creating this album including Ed Sheeran, Good Charlotte, Emeli Sandé, The 1975, McFly, and John Legend! Since so many people were excited for this new album (including myself), I decided to review every song on the album to let others know what to expect when they listen to it themselves!

[ pagebreak ]

1. Steal My Girl

Steal My Girl was the first single released from the album. It has a really catchy beat that will have you nodding your head! I love how the boys seem to be yelling while singing and how they are able to express their passion in their voice. I also love that the passion and yelling seem to juxtapose the somewhat mellow and relaxing sounds coming from a keyboard and the slow bass drum that accompanies it. It’s a fun song that is the perfect combination of passionate vocals and mellow tunes.

Favorite Lyrics: I got it all because she is the one, her mom calls me love her dad calls me son

[ pagebreak ]

2. Ready to Run

Ready to Run is similar to Steal My Girl because it also has really passionate vocals with calmer music. It would still be considered an upbeat song but the music is much calmer than other upbeat songs that you would dance to. They have moments of really intense singing and then the song is brought back to a softer tone with smooth harmonies.

Favorite Lyrics: This time I’m ready to run, wherever you are is the place I belong

[ pagebreak ]

3. Where Do Broken Hearts Go

The drum beats within the song really drive the song along and give off a really smooth and fun vibe. Although the song lyrics are particularly sad since the guys are singing to a girl that they lost in the past. They realize that they made a mistake but now they are finding it difficult to get her back. Again, what would a One Direction song be without the passionate vocals? In this song you can really hear and appreciate Louis’ soft voice and I think it is the perfect compliment to the song lyrics.

Favorite Lyrics: Now I’m searching every lonely place, every corner calling out your name trying to find you

[ pagebreak ]

4. 18

I was waiting for a ballad that would be really slow, soft, and beautiful and this song was exactly what I wanted! This song was another song that was written for One Direction by the brilliant Ed Sheeran. The song starts of slower without many drums but once you hit the chorus for the second time it starts to pick up the tempo, and even though I wanted another slow song from One Direction the faster tempo at this part really emphasized the emotion the boys put into their singing.

Favorite Lyrics: I have loved you since we were eighteen, long before we both thought the same thing

[ pagebreak ]

5. Girl Almighty

This song reminds me of some songs from the Midnight Memories album that was released last year. It is a good song and the high notes hit in this song are amazing. To me, this is a lot different from the One Direction I listened to in 2012 and I think it is a wonderful progression they have made since then. The actual music is really fun and it constantly changes at each part of the song. It will be really loud with a great beat then it will suddenly get quiet and you hear what sounds like clapping. At one point you can even hear the keyboard. This was another fun song.

Favorite Lyrics: Let’s have another toast to the girl almighty, let’s pray we stay young, stay made of lightning

[ pagebreak ]

6. Fool’s Gold

I thought I was happy with 18 but Fool’s Gold is truly an amazing slower song! The slow tempo is kept throughout and the guitar in the background really emphasizes all of their voices. Their harmonies are so good! When I hear slower songs from pop artists I always worry that I will hear too much of the drums within the song, but the drums provide a nice beat to the song.

Favorite Lyrics: And yeah, I let you use me from the day that we first met but I’m not done yet falling for you, fool’s gold

[ pagebreak ]

7. Night Changes

Similar to Fool’s Gold it’s another slow song from One Direction. The music is really slow and you can hear the boys voices so well. This song allows you to see how talented each member is and how good their voices are on their own. There is not much to the music – it’s just a simple beat coming for the drums and the same guitar strumming throughout. This shows that boys voices really make this song. The vocals are the driving force in Night Changes.

Favorite Lyrics: Moving too fast, moon is lighting up her skin. She’s falling, doesn’t even know it yet.

[ pagebreak ]

8. No Control

This reminds me almost of a 90’s punk pop song. I’m not sure if that description is very accurate, but the sound of the instruments and the way all the boys sing it reminds me of a punk song. Despite having some elements that resemble a punk song, it is still very peppy and still very One Direction. It’s a song that I can see myself jumping around and singing as loud as possible. The chorus is so catchy and it is probably my favorite on the album.

Favorite Lyrics: Lost my senses I’m defenseless, her perfume’s holding me ransome

[ pagebreak ]

9. Fireproof

The harmonies in this song are unbelievable. One Direction has always had really good harmonies but they are especially evident in this song! This song does not have much that is different from the other songs instrumentally, but this seems to be the sound that they want to continue on with. There’s nothing wrong with it instrumentally, but after listening to these songs for the first time someone could get confused and mixed up between all these songs that sound similar. Other than that, I like how it sounds really light and airy sometimes. It’s a good song to listen to when you are relaxing in your room.

Favorite Lyrics: It’s been so long, it’s been so long, maybe you are fireproof, ’cause nobody saves me, baby, the way you do.

[ pagebreak ]

10. Spaces

I love One Direction but this song is going to take a while for me to get in to. If there is any forgettable track on this album, I think it’s spaces. There is not any major part that you could describe as the “climax”. It has the same tempo throughout. It sounds good but there is not anything special that would make it an unbelievable song. There voices sound good as usual and the it gives off the same musical vibe as the rest of the album.

Favorite Lyrics: Spaces between us, hold all our secrets leaving us speechless and I don’t know why

[ pagebreak ]

11. Stockholm Syndrome

I really love when the vocals really seem to drive the song and drive the beat of the song. This song reminds me of Closer by Sara and Teagan. It’s not all that similar but it gives off a techno pop vibe and the chorus is different from what I have heard so far on this album. Usually the music gets louder during the chorus, but in Stockholm Syndrome the chorus only contains a simple electronic sounding beat and really fun singing. 

Favorite Lyrics: Who’s this whisper telling me that I’m never gonna get away. I know they’ll be coming to find me soon but I fear I’m getting used to being held by you

[ pagebreak ]

12. Clouds

The chorus in this song is amazing. It’s so fun and it’s something different. They seem to be singing really loud and it makes me nod my head to the song. I was not really feeling the song at first but the chorus reeled me in. It sounds like a soft rock song with the drums and hints of an electric guitar. Some parts of this song also remind me of Kings of Leon. I like that I am seeing elements of different genres of music because it shows that One Direction is experimenting with their sound to find what fits best for them as they go further in their career.

Favorite Lyrics: I knew you said that you don’t like it complicated. That you were tired of all the changes but love is always always changing

[ pagebreak ]

13. Change Your Ticket (Deluxe Edition)

The start of the song again sounds similar to other songs by One Direction. I was not really sure how I would feel about this song, but once again the chorus flies in and saves the day! It is really catchy and has a really great pop feel. It’s upbeat and something I will want to hear from One Direction forever! As I listen to the song more and more I find that I end up liking the entire song. The chorus is definintely the best part. I love how you can hear the guitar and the drums but then at times you can hear an electronic almost futuristic sound coming from the song.

Favorite Lyrics: Aren’t we way past that, playing hard to get. We did that when we were younger

[ pagebreak ]

14. Illusion (Deluxe Edition)

This sounds like a mix between pop and rock. Illusion is really cool to listen to and you can hear an acoustic guitar, heavy drums, electronic music, and of course wonderful vocals from the guys. From beginning to end I liked this song because there are so many cool things happening within the song. There is a different feel at almost every part of the song. 

Favorite Lyrics: But believe me I’m not trying to deceive you I promise falling for me won’t be a mistake

[ pagebreak ]

15. Once in a Lifetime (Deluxe Edition)

Just another song from One Direction with an amazing chorus. The chorus reminds me of older songs from decades ago and I love the acoustic guitar that accompanies this song. The harmonies make the entire song. It’s like each member is a part of a puzzle and when they sing together everything is complete. The harmonies are the best part of the song and I am glad that their voices were not drowned out by obnoxiously loud instruments, because otherwise it would not be the same.

Favorite Lyrics: When I close my eyes all the stars align and you are by my side

[ pagebreak ]

16. Act My Age (Deluxe Edition)

The beginning of this song makes me feel like I should get up and start line dancing with a partner. It is unbelievably fun and I love it. This song was seriously alot of fun to listen to and it seems like it was alot of fun to record. The adlibbing in the song and the “na na na” really make the song fun. It is a song that I think everyone should get up and dance to, or at the very least, clap along too. Similar to Once in a Lifetime, it sometimes reminds me of older songs but those sounds are mixed with modern music from today.

Favorite Lyrics: I won’t act my age, no I won’t act my age. No, I’ll still feel the same around you

[ pagebreak ]

Overall, I am thoroughly pleased with the album. I honestly like every single song, but of course since there are 16 songs altogether, there are obviously some songs that are better than others. Albums usually have a consistent sound throughout, but sometimes it becomes really repetitive and songs start to sound alike. Despite that, as I listen to these songs more and more I know that I will soon memorize all the lyrics and that I will probably love each and every song. I really like that One Direction decided to experiment with some different sounds because it really proves that they are growing as artists and that they are able to move out of the teenage pop genre.

Kelsey is a junior at Towson University. She is a mass communications major with tracks in public relations, advertising, and journalism and minoring in marketing. Kelsey loves One Direction, 80s movies, K-pop, and makeup. She spends her spare time watching Asian dramas, writing, googling random things, and searching for the next makeup product she wants from Sephora. Other than studying and writing for Her Campus, Kelsey likes to go to new cities and attend as many concerts as she can. She is also currently nursing a broken heart due to Zayn Malik. Twitter: @kelseyjswann Instagram: @kelsey.swann