5 New Dishes To Try This Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Thanksgiving- it’s a time to give thanks, reflect and feed your soul with amazing comfort foods, while surrounded by your loved ones. I don’t know about you, but Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays next to Christmas and my birthday! If you know me, you know I LOVE to eat. I love how I can have seconds or thirds and not be judged for my food consumption, I just have to remember to wear my stretchy pants. Thanksgiving is the one day out of the year where I can completely stuff my face and not give a damn. Eating to your hearts content is a right of passage on this holiday, and I hope you partake in the joys of comfort food, as I know I will.

Many families are unique in what they serve when it comes to side dishes. There are SO many options! As I’m growing older my mom wants me to assist in the kitchen and I think it’s fun to experiment with different side dishes instead of the usual mashed potatoes, stuffing jig. Don’t get me wrong, I will be adding the traditional sides onto my plate, but why not spice it up a little bit?

Show your family you can think outside of the box. Bring out your inner Gordon Ramsay and make a Thanksgiving masterpiece. One that will be cooked for generations to come. To help you along, I’ve compiled a list of 5 outstanding dishes that I think would compliment any Thanksgiving dinner. Your family will be thanking you, I promise.

So come along, put your chef apron on, and let’s get cookin’.

Dish 1: Savory Black Beans

(Image and recipe from Bay Area Bites)

When I first saw this, my jaw dropped a litte. Who would’ve ever thought black beans would make a perfect side dish on Thanksgiving? Bay Area Bites is on to something. Not only can you find 99 cent cans of black beans at your local supermarket, they’re chock full of protien, vitamins and nutrients. It’s not a bad idea to try it out. It’s great if you’re on a budget (or a broke college student like me). It’s also thinking of the vegetarian friend or family member you may have. Find the full recipe here.

Dish 2: Creamy Brussel Sprouts and Bacon Gratin

(Image and Recipe from Bay Area Bites)

Yet again, Bay Area Bites is onto something. I don’t know about you, but I am obsessed with Brussel Sprouts. I think they are the most amazing vegetable and when you add bacon and cheese to the mix, I might as well have the entire dish to myself. It’s THAT good. This is definitely something I will be making this holiday season! Find the recipe here.

Dish 3: Golden Macaroni and Cheese With French’s Fried Onions

(Image and Recipe from My Recipes)

Mac & Cheese with French’s fried onions? Did I read that correctly?! HOLY COW. I wonder why I had never thought of this. The crunch and burst of flavor from the fried onion would surely compliment the creamy texture of the mac and cheese. A comfort food lovers paradise. Find the recipe here.

Dish 4: Stuffing Stuffed Mushrooms

(Image and Recipe from First Home Love Life)

Mushrooms, something I would have never guessed would fit right in to Thanksgiving dinner.But stuffing them with stuffing? Now that’s a game changer that’s sure to please! Find the recipe here.

Dish 5: Peanut Butter Pie

( Image and Recipe from Food Network)

Okay so I get it, pumpkin pie and pecan pie are traditon. Everyone loves them, heck I adore them. But who says you can’t add peanut butter pie to the mix and have all three? Remember when it comes to Thanksgiving and eating, there are no expectations and no limitations. Eat to your little hearts content. And as Marie Antoinette said it best, let them eat cake or for your sake, let them eat pie. Find the recipe here.

I hope you have a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving, filled with lots of love and merriment.

Happy cooking,

HCXO!

MaryKate is Co President of Towson University's Her Campus Chapter. She is a Senior Communication Studies Major and graduates December 2017. She enjoys Indie Rock music such as Young The Giant, Arctic Monkeys, House of Lions and Catfish and The Bottlemen, just to name a few. She also enjoys chai tea, thrift shopping, Hawaiian pizza and Netflix as much as the next girl.