10 Things 20-Somethings Needed to Start Doing Yesterday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

1. Put your phone down and live in the moment.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been in a social setting and everyone is just standing around, glued to their phones. We’re a generation obsessed with documenting our every move on social media. There’s a lyric from the song Cameras I particularly like. “No time for cameras, we’ll use our eyes instead.” You’re unknowingly missing out on so much while you’re checking your Twitter timeline for the umpteenth time. Give your phone a break.

2. Take the time to travel.

Yes, I understand we’re all broke collegiates. However, there are a lot of affordable travel opportunities out there. Abroad, you can save money on lodging by staying in a hostel. In some countries, the U.S. dollar is more valuable than their currency. In many Asian countries, products on sale are much less inflated and inexpensive than it is in America. When there’s a will, there’s a way. Keep an open mind and immerse yourself in cultures of other countries.

3. Try to live a healthy lifestyle.

Don’t get me wrong. I love pizza, sugary treats, and other guilty pleasures just as much as any other girl. It’s all about moderation. All it takes are a few minor dietary adjustments. If you’re getting a burger and fries, substitute the fries with broccoli or another healthy alternative. Exercise! Your body and your health will thank you for it in the future. Find a form of exercise that works best for you. I hate running but when I’m playing sports, my mind is focused on the game rather than how many times I’ve sprinted up and down the field. 

4. Be a little selfish.

Treat yo’ self! Do things for you! Later on in life, if you’re married with a family, you’re going to have very little “me time.” Between balancing classes, jobs, and internships, you deserve a reward for all of your hard work. Go ahead and watch another episode of Orange Is The New Black! You’ve earned it!

5. Always make time for family.

Ohana means family and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten. Family ties are an unbreakable bond. Even on your busiest day, shoot your mom a text even if you just say, “Hi Mom. I’ve been in the library all day preparing for midterms. Really wishing I had a home-cooked meal right about now!” She’ll appreciate the fact that you took time out of your busy schedule just to acknowledge that you’re thinking of her. Remain amicable with your family because you never know when you’ll need their support the most.

6. Learn how to be self-sufficient.

Mommy and Daddy aren’t always going to be there for you every time you need something. Learn how to balance a checkbook, cook basic meals, change a tire, or how to do your laundry correctly – separate whites and colors!

7.  Do not allow your relationship status to define who you are.

You have your whole life ahead of you to be in a serious committed relationship. Not having a significant other is not the end of the world. If anything, spend this time discovering who you are. Make friendships that will last a lifetime. Create everlasting memories that will still make you smile even when you’re grey and old.

8. Stop lying to yourself.

Millennials have a bad habit of making excuses for themselves. You’re not doing yourself any justice. This seriously affects progression in life and can prevent you from reaching your full potential. You don’t have to have it all together but you should at least be on track to reaching that status. Nothing worth having in life is going to come easy, you need to go above and beyond to work for it.

9. Pursue whatever makes you happy.

We’re all still finding our way in this maze called life. Find your passions and explore your inhibitions. When you’re at peace with yourself, there’s nothing stopping you. Be around people who make you happy. Don’t be afraid to say “no” to something you’re uncomfortable with or you simply just don’t want to do. Satisfy all your wants and needs.

10. Remember that you deserve the world.

Don’t ever settle. Ever. 

Jai-Leen James is a senior at Towson University majoring in Mass Communications with concentrations in Journalism & New Media while and minoring in Electronic Media and Film.  She aspires to have a career in broadcasting. In addition to being a contributing writer for Her Campus, Jai-Leen plays club field hockey and club women’s lacrosse. She is the Vice President of Towson's chapter of the National Broadcast Society and an active member of WMJF, the student-run television station on campus. When she’s not busy participating in her various activities, Jai-Leen enjoys eating, watching The Office, and going to music festivals. Follow her on Twitter! @j_james17