Your Ultimate Dorm Packing List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Dorm Packing List

I spent my first year at the University of Texas at Austin in a dorm. I called Jester West my home for a few months. Websites compile extensive lists of “must haves,” but some of them are so unnecessary. Here’s a list of the things that made my life easier, and you should consider if you’re looking into dorm life.

A Mattress Topper

Words cannot describe how a mattress topper changed my life. UT provides you with a mattress, and it’s not terrible, but I like a softer place to sleep. You can find these almost anywhere, especially in the summer before moving in. All of my friends recommend one of these too, you won’t regret this purchase.

A Good Pillow

I take the way my bed feels so seriously. I invested in a nice pillow, but I also bought a body pillow. They sell them for pretty cheap at Target, and they come with pillowcases that are really soft and comfortable. I like the body pillow a lot because it helps me from falling off my bed since it creates a barrier. In dorms, there are two places for you to sit, your desk chair or your bed, might as well make it comfortable.

A Lamp

This may be such a regular object, but the lighting inside dorm rooms is terrible. There are two stark overhead lights that are just not good for studying or anything. If you buy a well lit desk lamp, it’ll keep you from using the horrible dorm lighting. Just make sure that your lamp is acceptable to use in your room. http://housing.utexas.edu/sites/default/files/ResidenceHallManual2016.pdf

Shower Caddy and Shower Shoes

Not all dorms have communal baths, but if they do, you’re definitely going to want to buy some shower shoes and a shower caddy. A shower caddy makes it easy to carry everything you need from your room to the bathroom. They have different ones, I used a mesh one with different pockets. I was able to put my razors, shaving cream, soap, shampoo, conditioner, and a speaker in mine. My roommate had a plastic one, it’s all about preference. I also used shower shoes. I like using one pair of shoes specifically for the shower instead of using my everyday flip flops. You don’t need shower shoes, but I recommend them just since so many other people use the same shower as you.

Water Boiler

Sometimes dorm food gets boring and expensive. My roommate and I had a water boiler in our room and it was so useful. We made ramen, tea, and other foods that needed boiling water really easily. It’s so much more convenient than boiling water in the microwave.

There are also some things that weren’t really all that important to have, but I really enjoyed having them around.

A Coffee Machine

I am obsessed with coffee and I drink it everyday. I had a Keurig in my room, and it saves time and money. My friend has a regular coffee machine in his too. It’s nice to be able to make coffee and leave without having to walk to Starbucks and wait. It’s also good for making it late at night when coffee places are closed. If you don’t drink a lot of coffee, you probably won’t need this item.

Headphones/Earbuds

These come in handy in and out of the dorm room. Since you’re sharing a space with another person, you might want to watch Netflix or listen to an online lecture without making your roommate listen to it too. Having headphones can also be nice on your walks to class.

Things That Remind You of Home

My dorm came with two large bulletin boards. I put some posters up, but I also put up some photos of my friends and family from back home. It’s nice to look up and see them once and awhile, especially if you don’t go home as often.

Jordan is a first-year journalism major at The University of Texas at Austin. When she's not writing articles or covering events, she enjoys trying new coffee shops or scrapbooking.