This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

This is it, collegiates!  It might have felt like the school year was never going to end, but we survived (for the most part) and summer is just around the corner!   The next few weeks might get a little hectic with finals galore, but there’s nothing wrong with taking a little time off to daydream about the future.  Before you lock yourself away in the PCL, go through your pre-summer checklist to make your life just a little bit easier (your future self will thank you!)

1.  Stay healthy and hydrated

It’s super easy to get so caught up in your homework, projects, or extra-curriculars that you forget to take care of yourself.  While it’s easier said than done to keep everything balanced during the last few weeks of school, try prepping your food at the beginning of the week to make sure you’re getting balanced meals throughout the day.  If you live on campus and don’t have access to a kitchen, set specific times throughout the day to stop and grab a bite to eat in one of the dining halls.  Set an alarm if you have to!  While this stressful time of year may have the ice cream and candy bars calling your name, resist the temptation and go for a snack that’s high in protein and fiber.  If you absolutely need something sweet, get some anti-oxidant rich dark chocolate to get you through the rest of your study session.  This time of year is also bad for colds and allergies, so make sure you’re washing your hands regularly, drinking lots of water, and getting plenty of Vitamin C!

2.  Confirm any travel plans you have for the summer

Going away this summer?  The last thing you want to be worrying about during finals week is last minute travel details.  Take some time to talk to any travel companions (parents, siblings, or friends) and iron out all the specifics.  Make note of important dates and times, like when you’re leaving school or arriving at your destination, specific transportation details, and everything you’ll need to bring on your trip.  When you have everything written down in one place, you won’t need to stress about what happens after you conquer your finals.  If you have any fickle friends or family members, don’t be afraid to be upfront with them about making final decisions.  Don’t let yourself stress just because someone else doesn’t want to finalize plans; take some time to sit down with them and talk things out until everything is settled.

3.  Make peace with your body

There are only two steps to getting your perfect beach body this summer: step one, have a body.  Step two, take it to the beach.  Precious energy wasted on being anxious about how you’ll look in your bathing suit could be put to way better use, like studying for finals or getting stoked about summer.  It’s highly unlikely that anyone is going to end finals week looking like a toned, bronze goddess, so let’s give ourselves a break.  Find a cute bathing suit that fits you well and makes you feel good about yourself!  Target has a variety of suits in different cuts, styles, and sizes, so you’re sure to find a great fit.

4.  Have a House Meeting with your roommates

Whether you’re leaving each other at the end of the year or sticking together for the long haul, check in with your roommates to make sure you’re all on the same page about plans for the summer.  If you’re living in a house or apartment over the summer, it’s important to know who’s going to be staying there and when.  Set ground rules for when you’re away (like no randos in your room) and allow your roommates to make their requests too (like no borrowing their clothes while they’re gone).  It might not be the most exciting conversation to have, but it’s important that you and your roommates are all in agreement on Summer House Rules so that there aren’t any issues later.

5.  Be kind to yourself

It’s easy to lose steam at the tail end of the school year, but we’ve made it to the home stretch!  While it’s important to stay focused and not let yourself slack off on important deadlines and assignments, it’s even more important to check in with yourself.  In these last few weeks of school, make sure you’re treating yourself with kindness and respect, and that you’re not so caught up on getting your work done that you put yourself in a bad place.  The end of the school year is stressful for everyone, but if you’re feeling particularly overwhelmed or anxious, you can call the UT Counseling and Mental Health Center at (512) 471-3515.

While you may be pining away for the freedom of summer (or even graduation), make sure that you cherish your time at the Forty Acres before we all go our separate ways.  It’s true that there are some classes we’ll be glad to leave behind, but it’s also important to remember that the time we spend here is limited, and we should be thankful for the amazing opportunities we have at this incredible school.  Now go out there and crush these last few weeks, Longhorns!  I know you can do it.

I am Corisa but a lot of my friends call me Cori! I feel like the real life Hannah Horvath from Girls.