The Worst-Case-Scenario Apartment Handbook

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

There’s nothing quite like crossing the threshold of your new apartment for the first time.  Finally free from the unglamorous clutches of dorm life, you have an opportunity to dress up your new space in whatever way you choose.  You’re living the good life: no guest check-ins, no bathroom codes to memorize, and no random tests of the emergency alarms while you’re trying to take a nap.  But while it’s true that going from living in a dorm to an apartment makes you feel about a hundred times more grown up, apartment living is more than just Pinterest tutorials and never-ending sleepovers.  There are a lot of things that can go wrong when you’re moving into an apartment, but with a clear head and a few of the following tips, you can handle any situation that comes your way.

1.  Your complex isn’t finished yet

When moving into a brand new apartment complex, delays are almost guaranteed; construction projects always seem to go on longer than originally planned, and it may lead to move in delays or a lack of amenities upon arrival.  Most leases come with a Construction Delay Clause that requires the management to put you up in a hotel while the building is being finished.  They typically reimburse displaced residents for food, parking fees, and storage unit fees as well.  Work with the people in the leasing office and see what can be done, and try to be as patient as possible; there’s a good chance that those working in the office are students just like you who have absolutely no control over the situation.  They want you moved in as much as you do!

If there are amenities that are unfinished, such as the gym or pool, you can use your UT student ID to gain access to the amazing facilities on campus.  It may not be as convenient as walking downstairs, but if you’re desperate to get your sweat on, try scheduling a time to go to Gregory Gym after class.  UT students have access to a multitude of equipment, a wide range of fitness classes, and three separate outdoor pools.  There’s plenty to keep you occupied until your building is finished.

2.  Your apartment has dents and dings everywhere

You know that long sheet of paper they give you when you get your key?  The one where you can record basically everything that’s wrong with your apartment?  USE IT.  I know it’s tempting to shove it in your bag and completely forget about it in all your excitement, but it’s crucial for those to be filled out thoroughly.  There’s nothing wrong with scrutinizing your living space; leave no dent undocumented or scratch unrecorded.  For starters, no one is going to know that your air conditioning isn’t working if you don’t say anything.  There’s also a good chance that, if you don’t saying anything about that little hole in the wall, you’re going to get charged for it.  Reporting problems promptly will allow maintenance to get the issue resolved as soon as possible and will allow you to walk away with your security deposit when your lease is up.  It’s also important to take some time to go over everything with your roommates to make sure that everyone is on the same page.

3.  You just moved in and the place is already a mess

Keeping a tiny dorm room clean is one thing, but trying to keep an entire apartment clean is another story entirely.  There’s a learning curve that comes with cleaning up after oneself in an apartment: you don’t know what your roommates’ cleaning habits are or what level of clutter is acceptable.  The best way to keep everyone happy is to clean as you go, like washing your dishes right after you finish eating or making sure to keep your bag off the kitchen counter.  Forming good habits immediately after moving in will make things much easier once you start getting seriously busy.

If it’s a roommate you’re having trouble with, be direct: making a point to leave your roomies’ dishes in the sink isn’t going to work if they’re legitimately not getting it.  Call a group meeting and talk about the state of the apartment and why it bothers you when they don’t clean up after themselves.  If you’re kind, open, and honest, they’re far more likely to see things your way.  Things probably won’t improve overnight, but they’ll certainly get better over time.

4.  Your utility bill is way higher than you expected

Family meeting time!  Utility bills can definitely get out of control if you’re not careful, so aim to sit down with your roommates at the end of each month to go over your bills.  If you see exactly where your money is going, it’ll be much easier to keep everything reasonable.  Is your water bill too high?  Aim to take shorter showers or run the dishwasher more efficiently.  You can also combine loads of laundry instead of doing everyone’s lights, darks, and delicates separately.  If the problem is your electricity, make sure everyone is turning off their lights and fans when they leave the room.  Leaving things like chargers, hair styling supplies or kitchen appliances plugged in while they’re not in use can also jack up your electric bill.  And while Austin may be unbearably hot in the summer, try to keep the thermostat at a reasonable temperature; your wallet will thank you in the long run.

5.  There are always unwanted guests in the apartment

Whether they’re an obnoxiously loud friend or your roommate’s clingy significant other, having an unwanted houseguest can lead to a lot of drama and stress.  Try to set clear ground rules as soon as you move in about surprise visitors.  If it’s not a mutual friend, it’s always important to check with your roommates before inviting someone back.  If you have a significant other, try to remember that your roommates probably don’t like them nearly as much as you do, so they may not be thrilled to see them every day.  Try not to spend all of your time together at one apartment and make sure you give your roommates plenty of warning before your significant other comes over.  And remember: having a guest over seriously cuts down on the amount of time that your roomies can walk around without pants on. So be courteous!

There’s no guarantee that all of these things will happen, but it’s always good to be prepared.  After all, you’ve signed your lease and are officially in it for the long haul.  Be smart, make good decisions, and most importantly, enjoy yourself.  You’re getting to live with some of your best friends while attending the best university in the world.  What could be better than that?

I am Corisa but a lot of my friends call me Cori! I feel like the real life Hannah Horvath from Girls.