Willie Veenstra ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Name: Willie Veenstra

Year: Freshman

Major: Chemical Engineering

Hometown: Houston, TX

Activities: Longhorn Band

What do you like about being in the Longhorn Band?
I like that I can escape from the rest of the world and, for two hours a day, hang out with the people I call my family and make music.

What’s your favorite ice cream flavor?
Blue Bell Cookies and Cream

What’s your ideal date?
My ideal date would be going to see a baseball game and afterwards, taking a picnic out to Lake Michigan and watching the sunset.

If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be, and why?
Australia, because it’s new, it’s far away, it’s different, and it’s something I’m not used to. And because in my life, I’ve never had to move out of one central place.

Why are you studying chemical engineering?
Because I love chemistry, I love calculus, and it makes money. Simple as that.

What’s your favorite thing about Austin so far?
Basically the atmosphere around campus — the friendly attitude of people around here. They’re willing to stop and talk to you for the sake of talking. They’re not trying to get anything out of you. They all have something in common; they all have the city of Austin.

What’s the best place to eat at on the Drag?
Einstein Bros. Bagels

What should people know about you?
My second toe is bigger than my first toe.

Anything else you want to add?
I really believe in the power of music; I believe in the power it has to bring people together and be a universal language that everyone can understand. It’s something that everyone can relate to, and when words can’t stay what the mind and heart feel, music can.

Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.