This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

The Paradox:

We need internships to get jobs; we need jobs to live.

We need experience to get internships; we need internships to gain experience.

So, we need internships to get internships; and we need a job to get a job.

What did come first, after all, the chicken or the egg? This, one could say, is the paradox of the modern job market. I suppose it teaches us that we should do things that will set us apart from the herd of job-seekers and degree-holders. Which is why I decided to intern abroad and would encourage it as a great alternative to a local or national opportunity you already have in mind.

The Pros

First of all, what better way to stand out than by gaining international work experience before you’ve graduated? Second, it’s a great way to advance your foreign language skill, immerse in a different culture and experience another lifestyle and landscape. Third, it’s an excuse to travel – every Millennial’s dream. Fourth, it will offer you a much broader knowledge of your field, and may well provide you with future international job offers or avenues you hadn’t ever considered.

All in all, undertaking an international internship or one that is international in scope and works with multiple regions, languages and cultures will train you in cross-cultural communication, international markets, diversity and of course, in your own field with the added spice that you are working with more than one language. It opens your horizons to fresh opportunities, ideas and networks that previously weren’t available to you.

The Difficulties

Such internships might be trickier to find – you’ll have to do some digging. But they’re different than what you’re used to and well-worth the effort. That might also make some of them more competitive – but not always. In fact, if you poke around enough into whatever interests you, chances are you can find smaller companies or employers that would be willing to train an intern. And as you might be the only one they have, you’ll get a lot of attention and responsibility that will allow you to learn your craft. Just make sure that you’ve researched your employer enough to know your training will be substantial and help you evolve.

Let’s talk finances: international internships can be expensive. Especially since they might be unpaid and you most likely won’t have room and board. But don’t hesitate to reach out to your department or university to fund you or at least give you a stipend that will cover some of the expenses. Besides, think of it as an investment in yourself. You are paving your professional path, and with a little luck you’ll meet valuable connections, people who will propel you forward, who might offer to pay you once you’ve proven your worth, or even make you a job offer for after you graduate.

The adjustment can be challenging, depending on where you go, whether you’ve been there before, if you speak the language etc. Don’t be daunted. But do be prepared. Learn your language, practice, invest in some tutoring or classes that will challenge you and improve your speaking and writing. Speak to a few natives about the culture and customs, so that you don’t feel entirely lost in communication once you arrive. Maybe reach out to some friends or friends of friends that live there just to have a friendly face nearby.

Mannerisms: Better be more professional than needed, especially at the beginning until you establish a relationship with your employer and coworkers and learn the culture’s customs. Politesse goes a long way, so don’t underestimate its influence and charm.

Conclusion

Try an international search for internships that you’d be interested in. Look into national companies and then see if they have offices abroad, maybe you could talk to them about interning at a foreign office. Search for companies in countries you would like to go to or speak the language of. Just search for companies that intrigue you, large or small, and start emailing people about internship opportunities. Send along your resume and be an active internship seeker and you will find something that’s both worth your time and better tailored to your personal goals.

Photo credit: http://www.cellularabroad.com/studyabroad.php

Eleni is a nerd who prefers to be called an intellectual. She loves pondering philosophical questions and reflecting on life as a twenty-something, both of which she does on her blog: sharingimpressions.com. Anyone creative and curious is welcome.
Grace is a Philosophy and Economics double major and a Government minor at the University of Texas at Austin. Most of her writing focuses on politics and civic engagement, characteristically intertwining her journalism with op-ed takes (usually nonpartisan; depends who you ask). Grace enjoys reading philosophy, reading and discussing politics, gushing over her dog, and painting in her spare time. As a true economics enthusiast, she also loves graphs.