etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What You Learned (Or Should Have Learned) Over Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Gone are the days of ice-delays and cancelled class as Austin, TX welcomes all things spring. Whether you visited family, hit up SXSW (Zac Efron, anyone?), furthered your career goals, or were face-down on the beach, you probably spent your free week with a few of your favorite friends.

Spring Break arrives just as you hit rock bottom of mid-semester woes. You dig yourself out of the midterm- and essay-filled trenches to spend a week pretending that they don’t exist. Those few precious days are so sweet; you have trouble snapping back into reality, but once you do, it’s as though the week never happened.

It’s likely that your Spring Break was great because of relationships. Quality time. Investing in those favorite friends. Personally, I spent my week adventuring through NYC with new friends, old friends, and long-distance friends. The memories I made were undoubtedly for the books. For one week, we’re reminded of the importance of genuine friendship. As the semester continues, how can we keep this in mind?

First of all, make time for your friends during the day. Lunch breaks or coffee shop study dates are perfect for catching up when you’re on a tight schedule.

Clearly, Regina George didn’t cherish her friendships.

What if your friends don’t live here? No problem. Beyond the usual SnapChat selfie, drop them a line or, better yet, a handwritten letter. This may seem old-fashioned, but handwritten letters say, “I took time out of my busy life for you.”

Not to quote High School Musical, but we’re all in this together, right? Our four years spent in college are often full of trials, anxiety, and growth. It just took one week off to remind us that we get by with a little help from our friends.