Truth Be Told, Honesty Rocks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

When I first heard of Tim Be Told, I thought “cute name” but didn’t bother checking out the independent-label band. Eventually, I got so overwhelmed by people gushing and excitedly linking to Tim Be Told’s music that I caved in. And got pleasantly hooked.

Counterclockwise, from top left: Tim Ouyang, Caleb Wu and Andrew Chae of Tim Be Told

This band, a sweeping spectrum of pop, rock, soul, gospel and blues, decided to hold off on self-promoting its second studio album Humanity, released March 22 through its online store. Front man Tim Ouyang even wrote on the band’s blog, “I want the music to be discovered through other people and not us trying to push it on you.” Of course, they are still touring, and you can catch them at Austin venue Space 12 on Friday, April 8.

That hardly sounds like a sure route to success in the cutthroat music industry, but who am I to judge? Especially when Tim Be Told makes songs like this?

Music video for “Analyze” from Tim Be Told’s 2009 EP, From the Inside

After riffing into the public limelight with 2007’s Getting By and nimbly scaling the music charts with 2009’s EP From the Inside, Tim Be Told exudes a mature confidence in this year’s Humanity. Tim Be Told’s lineup now includes guitarist Andrew Chae, drummer Caleb Wu, and Ouyang, the lead singer, songwriter and keyboardist. While Chae and Ouyang are from Charlottesville, Virginia, Wu hails from Dallas.

Ouyang fuses the new album with melodic breadth and depth. You can find polished clarity, jazzy swagger and even a dash of falsetto in his emotional vocals. I especially loved when he briefly sang with the saxophone in “Rest Easy.” Thanks to his days in an a cappella group while still in Charlottesville, Ouyang seamlessly integrates crisp choral arrangements into the tracks.

The lyrics in Humanity range from hopeful (“Reach for the light at the edge of the dark”) to resentful (“Your useless excuses are the very things I’m through with”), but you can dance to the most negative tracks (“Rejected,” “Beautiful People”). I noticed that unlike Tim Be Told’s previous releases, this album (with the possible exception of the beautifully rendered ballad “Miscommunication”) lacks songs on romantic relationships. Instead, Ouyang focuses on themes of doubt, societal ills and hope that challenge close listeners and reflect his Christian faith. When I first heard the first verse of concluding track “Just Another Man” (“She’s only twelve and sells for thirty dollars”), I nearly wept, knowing that Ouyang was talking about child prostitution.

Listening to Humanity at times makes me feel like I’m in a sanctuary, lit by heavenly sound and sun filtering through stained glass windows. Other times, I feel like sipping coffee and enjoying the raw ambiance. And sometimes, I just feel like dancing. But the lyrics on every track compel me to open my eyes to see beyond my own bubble and to reflect on what keeps me from doing so. Tim Be Told doesn’t hit the philosophical fervor of Switchfoot (at least, not yet), but they do succeed in what they aspire to—honesty. And truth be told, that captivates me.

Humanity by Tim Be Told

Rating: 4.5 stars

Want to see Tim Be Told this Friday, April 8, in Austin? The concert will start 9:30 p.m. at Space 12 on 3121 E 12th Street. Tickets are $10 at the door. First come, first serve. Click here for the Facebook event. Can’t make it to the concert? Her Campus will be reviewing! Check back for updates.

Sources:
Tim Be Told’s Official Facebook page
Tim Be Told’s Official blog

Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.