The State of College Dating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Like many other stunning college women, I’m a busy single girl on my way out of college and guys are one of the last things on my mind. After a sweet relationship turned sour, I’ve more than likely run away from my fair share of serious relationships. But after overhearing about my supervisor gladly deactivating her OkCupid account, and my former classmate gushing about a new dating app, Tinder, during happy hour, I realize I’ve indeed missed out on the dating scene. Is this how the beauties of our generation find dates these days – via dating websites and apps?

The New (Dating) Frontier

It’s obvious that the dating scene has changed over the years. Our generation no longer has to depend on a friend of a friend introducing us to their dashingly charming and suave relative. We have the Internet, which gives us ample opportunity to stalk our soon-to-be boy of the moment, and technology is way too advanced for guys to even keep up with. 

Regardless, dating is one of the best ways to get to know another person, not cyberstalking. Dating isn’t an extinct behavior, instead it’s one that has evolved, which allows people to meet far differently than before.

“Most of the time people meet on social networks,” said Paul Eastwick, University of Texas psychology professor. “People often meet their partners and [relationships] progress over time.”

A few decades ago, dating was a form of courting, a prelude to marriage. Now, dating has taken the form of group field trips or as Eastwick refers to it, “informally hanging out.”

“Dating in the millennium, there is speculation that men and women hang out in mixed sex groups,” said Eastwick.  

Since people are finding alternative ways to link with others, it’s only customary for the realm of dating to do the same.

Was That a Date?

When was the last time you were on a one-on-one date with a guy?

Don’t feel bad if it’s been awhile and don’t be surprised if a you’ve been on a date and it consisted of you tagging along with him and his best friends; that seems to be a growing trend these days. 

Something else that makes dating in our generation difficult is separating “hooking up,” sleeping with someone rather consistently, from a relationship, a romantic and exclusive connection between two people.

In case you haven’t gotten to know a person as well as planned while “dating,” put your foot down and establish the real definition of a date – just the two of us. Openly expressing displeasure will either give your possible partner time to get it together or reveal to you that the two of you are on two completely different pages – the beginning of a dead-end relationship. 

Photos:

http://blog.dormify.com/new-be…

http://ecleader.org/2012/02/07…

http://www.datingoo.com/tag/ne…

Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.