Spinning With Morgan Zamen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Spinning is the hottest workout on the scene these days. Celebrities, students and everyone in between loves the high intensity, party atmosphere of spin classes. Spin instructors become life coaches and spin gyms become families. UT student Morgan Zamen has experienced this excitement first-hand by going from rider to trainer at local Austin spin gym, Cyc, in just a few short months.

Name: Morgan Zamen

Job Title: Cyc Instructor

Major: Undeclared- PR

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Austin

HCTX: how long have you been a Cyc instructor

Morgan: I’ve been an official instructor for 2 and half weeks, but I’ve been training since June

HCTX: What was the training process like?

Morgan: We had to take at least one class everyday and we were taught how to teach each sector.

HCTX: How did you first get involved with cyc?

Morgan: I was a senior in high school and my friends all said there was a new spin studio we needed to check out. After my first class, I was hooked. Then this year they were looking for instructors and I thought it was the perfect opportunity for me.

HCTX: Why did you want to be a fitness instructor?

Morgan: I think fitness is the best stress reliever. It fits perfectly into my lifestyle. It’s 45 minutes that I have to myself everyday, I get to let everything go. If I’m having a bad day, it immediately gets better when I workout. It’s not a chore, it’s the best part of my day.

HCTX: What’s your favorite song to ride to?

Morgan: Trophies, Tim Gunter remix.

HCTX: What’s your favorite part of the ride?

Morgan: Jog Hill Sprint.

HCTX: What was the most impactful moment you’ve experienced while teaching?

Morgan: There hasn’t been one moment specifically, but I love seeing people reacting to what I say and I love seeing people work hard and get results.

HCTX: Why do you think spinning is so popular?

Morgan: It’s definitely very trendy right now, you see it in bigger cities like New York. I think it’s the hardest workout overall, especially because we use weights and cardio during spin. It’s a short 45 minutes, but it’s intense the whole time. You can feel the burn.

HCTX: When you’re not a cyc instructor, what are your favorite things to do around Austin?

Morgan: I love hanging out with friends and family. I’m in a sorority (Chi Omega), so I love going to chapter meetings and doing philanthropy.

HCTX: What’s your favorite place to eat in Austin?

Morgan: Austin Terrier or Gloria’s.

HCTX: If you could have one celebrity in your class who would it be?

Morgan: Lebron James.