This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Wake up. Go to class. Eat. Study. Sleep. Repeat.  The schedule of a college student can seem mechanic, especially now that we are well into our spring semester. The winter holiday seems ages ago, and spring break is still a few weeks away.  Although I am all for having a structured schedule, the same old things can get boring, but with a full course load, numerous extracurricular activities, and holding down a job, what is a collegiette™ to do?

What I did

Recently I was stuck in the same robotic predicament. At the beginning of the semester, I was signed up for 13 hours, mostly the boring basics that we all need to take before filling up my schedule with classes for my major.  It looked like my spring semester would be full of textbook readings, boredom, and irrelevance.

However, I kept hearing about this one course constantly.  It just kept popping up randomly in my day-to-day life.  The course? TXA 316L, a.k.a. Apparel I, which is an introduction to design and sewing course. Although I had no sewing experience, it caught my interest because it was something I had wanted to learn for a while.

Then I did something on impulse — something out of the norm for me as I always plan and schedule just about everything. But something possessed me to add the class, even though I was fearful that I would prove to be a terrible designer or that it would negatively affect my GPA. However, it was by far one of the best decisions I have ever made.  The class is incredibly fun and hands-on. Perhaps the best part is that you actually make something — you do not stare at PowerPoints or listen to lectures. You create something, which is a skill I never had before. 

You Can Do It Too!

Ok, so one of the most spontaneous things I have done is sign up for a sewing class (pretty lame, I know), but sometimes that change of setting or being outside of your element, no matter how small the difference, can be the best thing for you. 

I am not suggesting that everyone sign up for something crazy like skydiving, but maybe there is something you have been meaning to try but have let fear or another silly reason step in the way. But do not get stuck in a rut! Take time to try something new.

College is the best time of our lives to branch out and get out of our comfort zones.  It is not only a time to grow academically but also a time for new experiences and figuring out what you love.  Even though it can be scary when you step into the unknown,  in the long run, the outcome far outweighs any risks like feeling foolish.  Keeping an open mind is vital to enriching your life.  Plus, we do not have any excuse not to, for we are young and have nothing but time on our hands. 

With that being said, collegiettes™, I challenge you to do try out that thing you have been putting off for a while — perhaps it is your lifelong dream or simply a whim. Go for it!  Or as we say here at UT, “Go big or go home!”

Photo Credit: Tandem Skydive DC Skydiving

Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.