Seven Easy Super Foods

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Almonds

This is one of the easiest superfoods to incorporate into your daily life. Almonds are a great and easy snack to put in your backpack when you get hungry in the middle of the day, they’re great chopped up into salads, on top of your morning yogurt or cereal and into those cookies you’re baking on Friday evenings. They’re full of nutrients without almost any calories and are super heart healthy!

Coconut

Oil…water…milk…eat it raw…whatever! They’re rich in vitamins, minerals and amino acids, are being used in countless beauty products for their moisturizing properties and are used by athletes to boost metabolism and give energy! Basically, theres nothing coconuts can’t do.

Greek Yogurt

It’ll provide you with 1/4th the calcium needed (which means its great for your bones) with twice the protein of normal yogurt. Plus, it helps keep your bowel movements easy and healthy (come on, we’ve all been there). Besides eating it for breakfast, or a snack, you can throw out the sour cream in your fridge and replace it with greek yogurt! Yum!

Green Tea

LOOK OUT! This contains ZERO calories. That’s right- ZERO! And it’s rich in antioxidants! AND it’s also being studied as having anti-cancer effects. Wow. Replace your morning orange juice with a cup of green tea, or your afternoon soda with it, too. Green tea is super easy to make, but if you find that you’re really into it, there’s always fancier recipes.

Kale

Kale is FULL of different nutrients and vitamins. It’s basically lettuce but with even more vitamin A,C and calcium. It’ll boost your immune system (which we all need in college) and it helps clear toxins out of your body. There’s loads of ways to add this leafy superfood into your diet. Blend it in a smoothie, switch out your lettuce for it, or buy kale chips instead of potato chips.

Salmon

Salmon has one of the highest counts of Vitamin D of all foods, while also having super important vitamins like A and B and minerals like iron, calcium and phosphorus. Vitamin D is super essential for bone health, your heart and blood vessels. Another advantage is its source of omega-3 fatty acids which keep your arteries and veins flexible and improve your memory. Next time you’re out to eat, scan the menu for something with salmon- your body will thank you!

Quinoa

Quinoa’s superfood secret is that it’s a complete protein coming from its amino acid lysine, which is lacking in most other grains. By consuming quinoa, you’ll get your daily doses of loads of vitamins, also copper, zinc, magnesium and folate.

Juliet is in her third year at the University of Texas. She's passionate about Texas football, dogs, Harry Potter and changing the world.