Say Good-Bye to Weekend Boredom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

So there you were, Saturday morning and nothing to do because everyone was at the OU game right? Don’t fret, take a look at what Austin has to offer and you’ll never be bored again.

Whether it’s OU weekend or a weekend when all your friends have gone home there’s always something fun to do in Austin, you just have to find it. Here’s a list of things to do when you’re feeling alone and abandoned.

10. Catch up on some sleep.
Why not? All week long there’s a constant cry from the student body about how they’re so sleep deprived. Well, there’s no better time to make up for the all-nighter you pulled than on a weekend where you don’t have to keep up appearances.

9. Grab your bike and hit the trails.
Come on people. We live in Austin, the No. 1 ranked place to live as young adults. The weather is nice as the temperature is cooling down, and I’m pretty sure the last time I had some alone time with mother-nature happened before school started. And this will get everyone off the couch. It’s not bikini-season, but there isn’t a valid reason to be a couch potato.

8. Remember Glee? How about Gossip Girl? Pretty Little Liars? Any of them? No?
Well then consider this your one valid reason to be a couch potato. Schoolwork keeps everyone busy, but once in awhile it’s nice to indulge in what you like. So whether it be a young drama or a suspense thriller like Criminal Minds, take time to watch what you’ve missed. And think of it as an added bonus that you don’t have to fight with all your friends to decide on a single show.

7. Let’s do the time warp again!
It’s true. The Rocky Horror Picture show is in full swing with Halloween festivities at the end of the month. Whether you’re a Rocky Veteran, a mild Rocky enthusiast or you’ve never even heard of Rocky, it’s a great time to check it out. The great part about going to a Rocky show is that everyone there wants to have a good time, meaning you don’t need to worry about going alone.

6. I like that Austin Live music…anyway you choose it.
At this point, it’s the middle of the semester. If you haven’t heard any live music yet, you need to do so as soon as possible. As long as you’re living in the Live Music Capital of the world you might as well hear some of the sounds the city’s playing. A good place to go to hear a variety is downtown near the Red River area.

5. Create some art of your own.
Computers located in the FAC, Fine Arts Library, and the Comm School labs have Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator. These computers are open for student use and aren’t restricted to certain students. If you’re a pro a creating things on adobe then I’m sure you’ll come up with some master pieces that will one day be considered “modern-Vangoghs.” If you have no idea what I’m talking about still go. There are plenty of tutorials online that show you how to use these programs and create a personalized eye-catcher.

4. Spa day for one.
It’s true that as a Collegiate you probably don’t have tons of extra cash to spend on a luxurious spa, so instead give yourself a relaxing day of self-pamper. All you need is a pumice stone, nail polish for a mani-pedi, and a face-mask with some cucumbers for your eyes. Once your done sit back and read a book not required for any of your classes.

3. Meet people on your floor.
OK, you’re friends are gone, but let’s face it, there’s no better time to make new ones than now. Walk around and knock on a few doors and see if anyone is in the same situation as you and would like to get out. If you find a few people, I would suggest a movie night, or if you gather a large group, try a fun get to know you activity like going to Midnight Rodeo.

2. Hit the gym.
Alright so maybe you like your solitude, but don’t like the outdoors. Stay active though and head to the gym. With everyone gone you’re bound to have your choice of ellipticals, bikes or treadmills and the weight room is less likely to be crowded.

1. Go to a game watching party.
If you’re really into football, find a place where you can cheer on the Longhorns as if you were there. Most residence halls are having game watching parties as well as a large number of pubs and restaurants in the area. If football isn’t quite your thing, take a look a what other stations are broadcasting. Be it Major League Baseball Playoffs, or a made-for-TV movie, you’ll find something to watch.

Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.