A Response to West Campus Gun Violence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

A Response to West Campus Gun Violence

When people hear “UT Austin,” they think liberals, parties, football, and now guns. College is all about making memories and being free. What happens in the four year’s students are in college shapes who they will become and what their life will turn out to be. But, as we soon come to realize, life changes in an instant. The University of Texas is now an open carry campus. This means that hormonal young students now possess the weaponry to cause and do harm onto others. So, why do students need guns? What is the need for them? The university already has many different programs in place for the security and protection of their students. Why the need for guns on campus? Students have access to policemen, security guards, help stations, sure-walk, and many more arrangements to ensure safety on campus. All guns do are add to the possibility of impending chaos and destruction. Not only is there looming fear of a shooting at the university, but also fears over West Campus living.

A shooting recently took place at Sigma Chi fraternity house. A security guard was injured and hospitalized. Fortunately, the suspect was taken into custody. But, the whole situation could have been avoided. Guns do not need to be so accessible. College students are busy being young and making memories or trying to pass classes, they should not have to worry about someone losing control and creating a mass shooting. Guns allowed on campus are not protecting students, they are putting them in more danger. So, do we really need guns? The answer lies in what you define and consider being safe. If having a weapon on your body at all times makes you feel safe, then the open carry law is seen as a positive law. However, if you feel that students are too hormonal and untrustworthy of possessing guns, then the new law is a negative one. No matter if you are pro or against the open carry law, the shooting at Sigma Chi fraternity house was a travesty that insinuates the debate of whether the open carry on campus should be revoked. 

Hi! I've lived in Texas all my life. Im an international relations major and pre-law student. I love running, swimming, cycling, working out, and just being outdoors