Popular: Wicked’s Hayley Podschun

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

We all grew up with the classic, The Wizard of Oz, but so much happened before Dorothy dropped into the land of Oz, which we learn about in the musical phenomenon, Wicked. The musical, composed by Stephen Schwartz, explains the untold story of Oz’s witches: Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West, and Glinda, the Good Witch of the North. The Second National Tour has been here at Bass Concert Hall since February 18 and closes Sunday, March 9. Her Campus Texas chatted with actresses, Jennifer DiNoia, and Hayley Podschun, who portray “Elphaba” and “Glinda”, respectively, about their training, their Wicked audition process, and what it’s like playing these two such powerful women.

Hayley Podschun, who portrays “Glinda”, shares her memories, aspirations, and guidance.

Her Campus Texas: How and when did you begin your musical theatre training? Were you primarily a dancer, singer, or actress?  
Hayley Podschun: I started dance training when I was probably age three or four.  I just loved it.  Along with that, I was taking acting classes, improv classes, voice lessons and haven’t stopped doing it.  I always call myself a dancer first because that’s what I grew up doing my whole life.  My dance studio in Kansas, Miller-Marley really trained everyone there to be able to do it all.  I owe them everything.

HCTX: What was your audition process like for Wicked?
HP: I auditioned for “Glinda” over the course of six years. This last time I was called in I told myself that this would be the final time I would go in, and luckily, it stuck.  I needed some life experiences to I think mature me to be able to conquer this role.  Really happy it happened when it did.

HCTX: How do you stay healthy (vocally and overall) on tour? 
HP: I’ve definitely built up stamina. When I first started with the show I never went out, I never had a glass of wine, I barely spoke during the days and woke up super early on two show days to warm up. Now that I’ve done it for a year, it’s almost like a muscle.  I warm up a little bit, only go out like once a week but still sleep as much as possible.  Sleep is SUPER important to me.

HCTX: Do you still allot time to exploring new cities? “Glinda” is a demanding role!
HP: I do now. Towards the beginning of tour it was really hard to explore but knowing what things exhaust me, I am gauge what to do/what not to do during my days.  I like exploring cities!

HCTX: What is the most valuable thing you have learned (personally, professionally, or both) from Wicked?  
HP: So many things!!  Truly. I’ve learned a lot about myself, as a performer and as a human being, how to stay healthy doing a huge role, how to command such a big role.  Every job I have I always learn from.  I’m so happy to have had Wicked in my life.

HCTX: You’ve been a part of many great Broadway productions. Describe the most exciting moment in your career thus far. (Or top three!)  
HP: I have been VERY lucky with my work in the past.  Each show I’ve done is beyond special to me.  I mean, my Broadway debut was when I was 12 in The Sound of Music so THAT will always be in my head.  Then there’s Hairspray (Broadway cast, tour, and the film).  That was a huge part of my life and I made so many friends.  It was the start of my career I guess?  Sunday in the Park with George was incredible.  I don’t know if I’ll get to do something so artistic like that again.  And to meet Stephen Sondheim!  Come on!  There’s many other memories with other shows.  My latest one, before Wicked, was Chaplin and that one might be the one I hold closest to my heart.  It was the first show I was able to do from the “beginning”, meaning I got to create a role, workshop the show, then take it all to Broadway.  We got to record an original cast recording, which was always a dream of mine.  And that rehearsal process and cast were so wonderful and inspiring.  We are all still super close.  Some of us got little Chaplin tattoos because of that incredible experience. We will always have it with us. 

HCTX: What is your dream role?
HP: I would LOVE to play Queenie in Lippa’s Wild Party.  Also any mean girl in Mean Girls: The Musical if that ever happens.  I’m obsessed with that movie.

HCTX: What is something you wish you’d known ten years ago? And, more specifically, what advice would you give to an aspiring performer?  
HP: I would say to get involved in everything you can.  Work backstage during a show, go see movies, plays, musicals, read books.  When you have a job, and you’re just starting out, watch the older/more experienced people.  How they do and don’t do certain things.  You can learn a lot from watching.  I am still constantly watching and learning from people.

Photo Credits: