Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Texas Blog

Surviving Spring Break at Home

By Mary-Cate Machalec
March 6, 2014 - 1:47am

Not going anywhere for Spring Break? Don’t worry, you’re not alone. While it seems like everyone is running off to Gulf Shores or Panama City Beach, plenty of people are heading back to their hometowns to take it easy and have a low-key break. While it might not seem as glamorous as hitting the road with your friends and having a wild time, you can definitely still enjoy yourself. Here’s a few ways to have just as much fun for a lot less money! 1) Hang out with your friends from home READ MORE

Spring Break Travel Tips

By Felicia Fitzpatrick
March 1, 2014 - 8:08pm

Midterms are here, which means Spring Break is near! Whether you are traveling close or far, by plane or car, here are some travel tips to help you have the best Spring Break ev...ar... 1) Keep all electronics charged READ MORE

Confessions of an (Almost) 21 year-old Transfer Student

By Charlotte Rose
February 21, 2014 - 3:49pm

At the beginning of the year, I was embarrassed to tell people how old I was. My age didn’t normally come up in conversation.  I had suddenly appeared in Winship, usually surrounded by other first year students, so all of the upperclassmen just assumed that I was a freshman.  But then I would let something slip, like how excited I was to be turning 21 in March, or how I had graduated high school in 2011, and that’s when I started confusing everyone.  They’d ask me a simple, innocent question: “How old are you?” READ MORE

Discover This Great New App Today at Cafe Medici!

By allegra boutch
February 20, 2014 - 12:17pm

College students are always looking for the next great thing in technology. Well what if you were to learn that the next great thing is an free mobile app that provides real-time information to get you around Austin? READ MORE

And the Gold Goes To: Hockey Hunks

By Erin Altieri
February 15, 2014 - 4:00pm

It is no secret that Texas is a land in love with football, I am quite sure that if it was possible to eat the sport of football they would have it for every meal. In their love for football I have noticed that Texans have neglected another great sport almost entirely; hockey.  READ MORE

"It's Handled": A Look at Scandal in the TV Canon

By Felicia Fitzpatrick
February 6, 2014 - 8:34pm

Gladiators, rejoice! There is only three weeks until we are once again graced with the presence that is Olivia Pope. For those unfamiliar with ABC’s Scandal, it is a political thriller that centers around Olivia Pope, played by Kerry Washington, a crisis manager with bad-ass team of lawyers (aka Gladiators in Suits) in Washington D.C.   READ MORE

BFFL: Best Friends for Love

By Abena Ababio
February 1, 2014 - 8:37pm

The pink, the red, the hearts. We all know what day is upon us. Bring out the googly-eyed couples and giant teddy bears everyone, Valentine’s Day is here! For me, February 14th has always been a day filled with a dash of dread and twinge of jealousy. (I mean we don’t even get school off so how am I supposed to consider it an actual holiday??) But then in my quest for a more positive outlook on my life, I’ve accepted it for what it is. It’s a day celebrating love. Love in all its forms is a beautiful thing. Just because you don’t have a signficant other bringing you chocolates and flowers does not mean you are not surrounded by it. READ MORE

Super Bowl Superlatives

By Chloe Morris
January 26, 2014 - 12:37pm

At UT, we know how to take football seriously. With the Super Bowl coming up, and having no real knowledge of football besides knowing that touchdowns are six points and there are four downs before a turnover, I decided to predict who will win based on the knowledge I do have: which team is more attractive. Using the expertise of my friends’ opinions and the aid of Google images, we have picked out the three most attractive players on each team, as well as assigned them a score: Seattle Seahawks Boy Next Door award Russell Wilson, 25, quarterback.  READ MORE

Expectations vs. Reality: Life After College for Females in the South

By Becca Chavoya
January 18, 2014 - 12:06pm

From the moment I stepped foot onto The University of Texas campus, I’ve had a plan. I’ve known exactly what I wanted to do with my life and the exact steps I was going to take to get there. Now, four years later, my graduation date looms in the distance and I find myself questioning every single aspect of my “plan.” READ MORE

Hair Care Tips for First Week of Classes

By Felicia Fitzpatrick
January 13, 2014 - 12:13am

Welcome back to the 40 Acres, Collegiettes! With the start of the new semester comes that familar bustle of running from class to the gym, to a student organization meeting, and then back to another class! Being busy often means you don’t have time to take care of your hair the way you want to, but we all know how important hair care really is! Garnier does too, which is why they supplied us with tons of samples of their Volume Extend Shampoo and Conditioner, so you can start off the Spring Semester with some voluminous hair! Everything is bigger in Texas, as they say. READ MORE