Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Texas Blog

"It's Handled": A Look at Scandal in the TV Canon

By Felicia Fitzpatrick
February 6, 2014 - 8:34pm

Gladiators, rejoice! There is only three weeks until we are once again graced with the presence that is Olivia Pope. For those unfamiliar with ABC’s Scandal, it is a political thriller that centers around Olivia Pope, played by Kerry Washington, a crisis manager with bad-ass team of lawyers (aka Gladiators in Suits) in Washington D.C.   READ MORE

BFFL: Best Friends for Love

By Abena Ababio
February 1, 2014 - 8:37pm

The pink, the red, the hearts. We all know what day is upon us. Bring out the googly-eyed couples and giant teddy bears everyone, Valentine’s Day is here! For me, February 14th has always been a day filled with a dash of dread and twinge of jealousy. (I mean we don’t even get school off so how am I supposed to consider it an actual holiday??) But then in my quest for a more positive outlook on my life, I’ve accepted it for what it is. It’s a day celebrating love. Love in all its forms is a beautiful thing. Just because you don’t have a signficant other bringing you chocolates and flowers does not mean you are not surrounded by it. READ MORE

Super Bowl Superlatives

By Chloe Morris
January 26, 2014 - 12:37pm

At UT, we know how to take football seriously. With the Super Bowl coming up, and having no real knowledge of football besides knowing that touchdowns are six points and there are four downs before a turnover, I decided to predict who will win based on the knowledge I do have: which team is more attractive. Using the expertise of my friends’ opinions and the aid of Google images, we have picked out the three most attractive players on each team, as well as assigned them a score: Seattle Seahawks Boy Next Door award Russell Wilson, 25, quarterback.  READ MORE

Expectations vs. Reality: Life After College for Females in the South

By Becca Chavoya
January 18, 2014 - 12:06pm

From the moment I stepped foot onto The University of Texas campus, I’ve had a plan. I’ve known exactly what I wanted to do with my life and the exact steps I was going to take to get there. Now, four years later, my graduation date looms in the distance and I find myself questioning every single aspect of my “plan.” READ MORE

Hair Care Tips for First Week of Classes

By Felicia Fitzpatrick
January 13, 2014 - 12:13am

Welcome back to the 40 Acres, Collegiettes! With the start of the new semester comes that familar bustle of running from class to the gym, to a student organization meeting, and then back to another class! Being busy often means you don’t have time to take care of your hair the way you want to, but we all know how important hair care really is! Garnier does too, which is why they supplied us with tons of samples of their Volume Extend Shampoo and Conditioner, so you can start off the Spring Semester with some voluminous hair! Everything is bigger in Texas, as they say. READ MORE

Special Report: Health Risks with NuvaRing

By Chloe Morris
December 29, 2013 - 4:44pm

If I had to take a poll (which I didn’t, but trust me on this) I would have to say that roughly 80 to 90% of my female friends are on birth control. Whether it’s for preventing pregnancy or acne or painful periods, most collegiettes are either on it or have been on it. I, myself, dealt with the Pill for a while before I gained ten pounds. It was terrible. READ MORE

The History of Fashion

By Irma Garcia
December 13, 2013 - 4:04pm

Fashion has always been around to create a pleasing look for the eye. While being able to correlate pieces together for the right look may come natural to some, to others it’s more of textbook fashion—follow the rules, don’t take any risks. Then there are the talented designers who can create the pieces from personal inspiration and generate fashion trends that began as early as the 1920s. After traveling to Milan and Paris (and seeing Europe in general), one of the fashion capitols of the world, my fashion sense grew immensely. I was exposed to many new looks and was inspired by the different scenery. READ MORE

How To Stay Sane During Winter Break

By Jasmin Carina
December 6, 2013 - 11:52am

First off, I hope all of your finals are going wonderfully (if that is even possible) and that your hours studying in the library haven’t driven you into complete delirium (its still early on, that’s what next weeks for, y’all).  Enough about that school stuff though, I’m here to remind you that there is indeed a light at the end of the tunnel.  That light is winter break.  But what happens when that first week of sleep and family time gets old and you are left staring at the ceiling in your childhood bedroom? Boredom is not an option. Here are some helpful tips to keep you from counting the floor tiles in your kitchen during your holiday at home.  READ MORE

Tips for Successful Black Friday Shopping

By Erin Altieri
November 26, 2013 - 1:33am

Thanksgiving break is right around the corner I can almost feel the comfort of my bed at home calling my name. Before I know it I will be back home with my family, hanging out with my high school friends, and eating a delicious and calorie filled Thanksgiving dinner with no shame. But other than the usual activities everyone looks forward to over this short break there is one more activity I’ve been waiting all year for, Black Friday. READ MORE

7 Thanksgiving Dishes for Vegetarians

By Yembur Ahmad
November 23, 2013 - 8:39am

Thanksgiving is a day for giving thanks and spending time with family, but don’t lie to yourself: what we gluttonous Americans really look forward to is the food. If you’re vegetarian, however, Thanksgiving can be a bit of an inconvenience because it’s not very fun to watch everyone chow down on turkey while you pick at your stuffing. So to help my fellow vegetarian collegiettes, I scoured allrecipes.com to find the best vegetarian Thanksgiving recipes... now you can be gluttonous too! Bon appetit!   Tofu Turkey READ MORE