Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Texas Blog

Expectations vs. Reality: Life After College for Females in the South

By Becca Chavoya
January 18, 2014 - 12:06pm

From the moment I stepped foot onto The University of Texas campus, I’ve had a plan. I’ve known exactly what I wanted to do with my life and the exact steps I was going to take to get there. Now, four years later, my graduation date looms in the distance and I find myself questioning every single aspect of my “plan.” READ MORE

Hair Care Tips for First Week of Classes

By Felicia Fitzpatrick
January 13, 2014 - 12:13am

Welcome back to the 40 Acres, Collegiettes! With the start of the new semester comes that familar bustle of running from class to the gym, to a student organization meeting, and then back to another class! Being busy often means you don’t have time to take care of your hair the way you want to, but we all know how important hair care really is! Garnier does too, which is why they supplied us with tons of samples of their Volume Extend Shampoo and Conditioner, so you can start off the Spring Semester with some voluminous hair! Everything is bigger in Texas, as they say. READ MORE

Special Report: Health Risks with NuvaRing

By Chloe Morris
December 29, 2013 - 4:44pm

If I had to take a poll (which I didn’t, but trust me on this) I would have to say that roughly 80 to 90% of my female friends are on birth control. Whether it’s for preventing pregnancy or acne or painful periods, most collegiettes are either on it or have been on it. I, myself, dealt with the Pill for a while before I gained ten pounds. It was terrible. READ MORE

The History of Fashion

By Irma Garcia
December 13, 2013 - 4:04pm

Fashion has always been around to create a pleasing look for the eye. While being able to correlate pieces together for the right look may come natural to some, to others it’s more of textbook fashion—follow the rules, don’t take any risks. Then there are the talented designers who can create the pieces from personal inspiration and generate fashion trends that began as early as the 1920s. After traveling to Milan and Paris (and seeing Europe in general), one of the fashion capitols of the world, my fashion sense grew immensely. I was exposed to many new looks and was inspired by the different scenery. READ MORE

How To Stay Sane During Winter Break

By Jasmin Carina
December 6, 2013 - 11:52am

First off, I hope all of your finals are going wonderfully (if that is even possible) and that your hours studying in the library haven’t driven you into complete delirium (its still early on, that’s what next weeks for, y’all).  Enough about that school stuff though, I’m here to remind you that there is indeed a light at the end of the tunnel.  That light is winter break.  But what happens when that first week of sleep and family time gets old and you are left staring at the ceiling in your childhood bedroom? Boredom is not an option. Here are some helpful tips to keep you from counting the floor tiles in your kitchen during your holiday at home.  READ MORE

Tips for Successful Black Friday Shopping

By Erin Altieri
November 26, 2013 - 1:33am

Thanksgiving break is right around the corner I can almost feel the comfort of my bed at home calling my name. Before I know it I will be back home with my family, hanging out with my high school friends, and eating a delicious and calorie filled Thanksgiving dinner with no shame. But other than the usual activities everyone looks forward to over this short break there is one more activity I’ve been waiting all year for, Black Friday. READ MORE

7 Thanksgiving Dishes for Vegetarians

By Yembur Ahmad
November 23, 2013 - 8:39am

Thanksgiving is a day for giving thanks and spending time with family, but don’t lie to yourself: what we gluttonous Americans really look forward to is the food. If you’re vegetarian, however, Thanksgiving can be a bit of an inconvenience because it’s not very fun to watch everyone chow down on turkey while you pick at your stuffing. So to help my fellow vegetarian collegiettes, I scoured allrecipes.com to find the best vegetarian Thanksgiving recipes... now you can be gluttonous too! Bon appetit!   Tofu Turkey READ MORE

Get Confident With American Laser Skincare

By Texas Contributor
November 21, 2013 - 6:35pm

When you look in a mirror, do you like what you see? Or do you just get distracted by little flaws? READ MORE

Austin Beauty 360 Expo Recap

By Erin Altieri
November 16, 2013 - 12:42pm

You know those mornings when you wake up feeling like you just got hit by a train or it is just not your day? You know when despite this you put on a nice outfit and apply some makeup to convince yourself that if you look better you will feel better? Then by some miracle you actually start to feel better? Eve Michaels will argue this is because of “the power of beauty.” This power is exactly what the Austin Beauty 360 Expo is all about. READ MORE

Top 10 Favorite UT Football Traditions

By Felicia Fitzpatrick
November 13, 2013 - 1:12am

'Tis the season to wear burnt orange, tailgate, and scream "Texas Fight!" at the top of your lungs. While it's sad that football season is ending, there are a few more games left for us to frolick and revel. This Saturday we'll be playing OK State. They are already playing on our turf, so we thought we would up the ante a little. We reached out to OK State's Her Campus chapter and decided to have a social media competition, too. It's our favorite football traditions versus theirs, and we all know there is nothing like our Longhorn spirit. Share on facebook and twitter so we can show them what we're made of. Make sure to tag all social media posts with #HCyouinATX! Hook 'em!   10. Big Bertha ...