Peeta? Like the Bread? A Guide to the Hunger Games

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

There’s something about when a book gets turned into a movie that makes people everywhere become crazy. You get all giddy inside, reread the books so that you are on top of your game, and tell everyone how you knew about the book before you ever set eyes on the trailer. Well, that is, unless you haven’t read the books and have no clue what it’s about. The Hunger Games movie came out this last weekend on the 22nd, and it already looks to be another movie saga that’s going to rank in lots of cash. Hardcore fans made costumes, bought their midnight premiere tickets, and tweeted about it non-stop. Others might have just borrowed the books from a friend and can’t really find time to actually pick it up. That’s where this guide comes in (without spoiling any of it)! For those of you planning to see the movie before reading the books, you might need a little background about who, when, where, and what exactly is a hunger game. I interviewed two big Hunger Games fans for answers.

So what exactly is a hunger game?
“The hunger games are basically the Capitol of Panem’s way of reminding the districts not to rebel,” psychology junior Rhema Anazonwu said. There are 12 districts of the country of Panem (thought to be North America), she said, and a boy and girl from each one must enter the competition and fight to the death with only one surviving out of the twenty four.

Who is the main character?
“Katniss,” said philosophy sophomore Alaina Cox. “She is a citizen of District 12.”

Team Peeta or Team Gale? Wait…who are they?
Cox describes Peeta as “that romantic kind of character and seems out-of-place but is exactly what the story needs.” He’s a baker’s son from Katniss’ district who gets chosen to compete in the hunger games with her.
“Gale is similar to Katniss,” said Anazonwu. Katniss and Gale are best friends who often hunt together and are very close, she said.

How is it like other sagas?
“Well, there is a love triangle,” Anazonwu said. “In relation to Harry Potter, there is kind of a hero character, Katniss, but she is more self-focused.” Cox contrasted Harry Potter, who is out to save the wizarding world, with Katniss, who is out to save herself for the sake of her family.

The books are filled with a lot of emotions and action-filled events, and many hope the movie is, too. Critics have given it great reviews, and hopefully it will receive great reviews from all the Hunger Games fans, as well. There isn’t too much to know before going to see the movie, but knowing the characters as well as the fact that a hunger game isn’t an eating competition but a fight to the death will make you a little more knowledgeable. You won’t see vampires sparkling in the sun or a giant snake in a chamber, but you will see the start of a new trilogy waiting to take on the box office. Perhaps it will inspire those who haven’t read the book to take on the challenge. May the odds be ever in your favor! 

Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.