Our Own Miss Congeniality; The Longhorn Band’s Ashley Dolan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

One of my favorite moments from Miss Congeniality? Obviously when Sandra Bullock pulls donuts out of her dress. Another fave moment? When Miss Rhode Island twirls her dangerous and awesome fire batons. PLUS she does it with tons of confidence, which is really impressive, because I know I wouldn’t feel comfortable tossing a baton into the air, let alone one on fire. Luckily, we don’t have to get our craving for dangerous and awesome fire batons filled just from Miss Congeniality, because we have our own amazing fire baton twirler right here on the 40 acres! Her name is Ashley Dolan, and she is the featured baton twirler of the Longhorn Band! We asked her all about her twirling experience and her fun Halloween plans!

Name: Ashley Dolan

Major: Elementary Education

Year: Sophomore

Her Campus Texas: What extra-curriculars are you involved in besides the Longhorn Band?

Ashley Dolan: I am in Tau Beta Sigma (the band service sorority) and I am also in Education Council.

HCTX: How long have you been twirling?

AD: I have technically been twirling since I was two, my mom and my grandma both twirled and they currently coach, so I definitely grew up around it.

HCTX: That’s so cool! What was the process of becoming the featured twirler of the Longhorn Band? It was probably really exciting once you found out, especially because of your history with twirling.

AD: I applied for feature twirler in early spring of my senior year of high school. A few weeks later I was informed that I was a finalist, and I came down in April for an in-person audition (which included both twirling and an interview). After all was said and done, I was informed that I had received the position. I still sometimes cannot even believe it’s not just a dream!

HCTX: Describe what a performance/game is like for you:

AD: A performance/game is such an exhilarating experience for me! I absolutely love performing, and doing so in such an exciting pumped up environment is an experience unlike any other. I love the game day atmosphere, and I am just so lucky I have the chance to be a part of it! Also, I could not imagine being a member of a more phenomenal marching band! They are incredible musicians, performers, and people in general and I am so blessed to be a part of the LHB family!

HCTX: It’s clear that the LHB really close and y’all have a lot of fun together. What is your favorite memory of twirling?

AD: I’d probably have to say my favorite memory is my first game at UT. It was truly a once in a lifetime experience taking the field for the first time! What a rush!! Every game after that however has been such a close tie.

HCTX: What incredible feeling that must been. Now on the flip side, what is your most embarrassing moment?

AD: Um…I may or may not have tripped and fallen in front of the whole band and my directors one night at practice. At least it provided a little entertainment for everyone!!

HCTX: With your mom and grandma being a huge part of your twirling history and now your LHB family, it seems like you have an awesome support system. Who is your biggest inspiration?

AD: There are so many people who have had very powerful impacts on my life, but I would have to say that my biggest inspiration is my mom. She supports me in all that I do and I simply don’t know what I would do without her!

HCTX: I’m sure she is really proud of you! You told us she coaches, but what do you like to do in your spare time?

AD: I love to water ski, run, laugh with friends, and read good books.

HCTX: So you get a balance between active and relaxing – sounds perfect. What are you dressing up as for Halloween?

AD: I really need to figure out what I’m going to be for Halloween. We dress up for LHB practice so I better get on that!

HCTX: What is your favorite Halloween candy?

AD: I love Twix!

HCTX: Do you have any favorite scary movies?

AD: I’m not really a fan of scary movies, but I love Halloween Town (you know that one from Disney Channel?)! It’s always been a favorite.