Mobile Manners Breakfast Hosted by Intel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

For those of you who were unable to join us for breakfast, HerCampus.com(TM) + Intel gave away a 2nd generation Intel Core i5-based Samsung Series 9 ultra-sleek laptop during our event. 

Intel recently conducted a survey that shows the general consensus feeling that our cell phone etiquette is getting worse. According to the findings, “The majority of U.S. adults surveyed (92 percent) agree that they wish people practiced better etiquette when it comes to using their mobile devices in public areas. Roughly one in five adults (19 percent) admits to poor mobile behavior but continues the behavior because everyone else is doing it.”

A couple tips that Intel offers:

• Practice what you preach: If you don’t like others’ bad behavior, don’t engage in it.
  • Be present: Give your full attention to those you are with, such as when in a meeting or on a date. No matter how well you think you multi-task, you’ll make a better impression.
  • The small moments matter. Before making a call, texting or emailing in public, consider if your actions will impact others. If they will, reconsider, wait or move away first.
  • Talk with your family, friends and colleagues about ground rules for mobile device usage during personal time.
  • Some places should stay private: Don’t use a mobile device while using a restroom.

Something else that we discussed during the event was what kind of processor should we be looking for when we buy laptops. The 2nd generation processors that Intel offers are i3, i5, and i7. 

i3- For basic needs. Surfing the web, using a word processor, listening to music. 
i5- For the multitasker. You’ve got your music going, multiple browser windows open, your PDF files that you’re reading from, photos that you’re uploading, and papers that you’re writing all at once.
i7- For the serious gamer. Who wants a lagging computer when you’re about to conquer the world? 

Special thanks to Einstein’s Brothers for their delicious coffee and bagels and Wheatsville for their sweet plums! 

Congratulations to our laptop winner- Mirakol!

Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.