Meet the Parents: The College Version

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

So we know how the dating world goes in college: you see a cute guy at a party, “accidentally” bump into him, exchange numbers and next thing you know you have big Kim Kardashian bling on your finger. Even if that cute guy from the party is your soulmate, there is one major barrier standing between your single status and wedding bells: meeting the family.

As annoying or difficult as this meet-and-greet may seem, it’s inevitable if you see a future with your boy. We’ve got a few helpful tips ensure his family falls head-over-heels in love with you.

If you’re meeting your guy’s family for the first time …

First, don’t be nervous. Families are like dogs: they can smell fear. Be confident, not cocky, assertive, not timid, and friendly, not phony. If your guy’s family likes to crack jokes, crack them right back; there is absolutely nothing wrong with showing a little bit of wit. Realize that his family only wants the best for him, so show them exactly why you are the best.

Second, prepare. Ask your guy questions: What is your family like? How did your parents meet? How old are your siblings? The more prepared you are, the smoother things will go. Knowing little facts like his dad’s favorite football team or his mom’s favorite reality show can score serious brownie points with the family and show that the two of you have something in common.

Third, put thought into your appearance. Less is definitely more. No need for the extreme smoky eye or the Snookie-do for this occasion. This is the time to dress conservatively but still show some personality. Too-tight jeans and low-cut tops are certainly not allowed. Also, compliment his mom or sister on their hair or clothing to get on their good side, for mama’s boys especially.

Fourth, remember your manners. Act as if you were raised in the South (even if you weren’t); yes ma’am, no ma’am, yes sir, no sir – these phrases will make a world of difference in how his family perceives you. You’re not meeting President Obama, but be respectful. Also, as much as you may love your guy, refrain from PDA.

Remember these little tidbits of info, and the ultimate family test will be a breeze. This is a great chance to get on his family’s good side and learn more about your guy in the process. 

Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.