This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Q: What’s your year and major?
A: I’m a Freshman Public Health major (B.S.).

Q: You grew up in Austin.. what made you want to stay for college?
A: Having grown up here, I always felt connected to the University of Texas, coming to campus for sporting events or just to hang out on The Drag. I decided to go here because I really wanted to experience UT from the inside. Experiencing Austin as a student is entirely different from growing up in my parents’ house in Great Hills (North Austin). I love walking around campus and feeling like I’m a part of the thousands of people who are here to succeed and eventually make a difference in the world one way or another. There’s always something to do that you really couldn’t experience anywhere else.

Q: As a current freshman, what advice would you offer to incoming freshman?
A: The most important thing is to remain positive and open to new things. Meeting people on such a big campus can be really intimidating, especially if you are also adjusting to being away from your family and having to move to a new city. It is crucial to put yourself out there, introduce yourself to the people who sit by you in class, make study groups and assert yourself more than you would have in high school. Your college experience is what you make of it; go out of your way to meet new people and experience different things. Make sure above all else that you remain organized and prioritize (that includes your social life). It is important to complete your calculus assignments but keep in mind that this is a time for self-discovery – make time to have some fun and get out of your comfort zone.

Q: How would you describe your style?
A: Clean, classy, comfortable hippy, bohemian. I think the majority of my style comes from having grown up in Austin, almost everything is ready to wear in our crazy climate and is versatile enough to head to South Congress, a concert, the green belt, and even 6th Street.

Q: What do you think is the most important aspect of an everyday outfit?
A: Definitely feeling confident and comfortable as you are; for me that means feeling that I look presentable and put together. I always feel better about myself if I take the time to look my best for whatever the occasion, but everyone’s normal is different. I am most comfortable in a sundress and sandals, but someone else may prefer athletic clothes and sneakers. The key is to feel great in whatever you wear.

Q: How do you add personal touches to your outfits?
A: I usually like to round out an outfit with something that has meaning to me. An example is the jewelry I bought at the Pecan Street Festival one time with my best friend; another is the polk-a-dotted pair of flats I got in the best Christmas exchange ever! Clothing that is cute and has meaning is always the best – I love things that have a story behind them. 

Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.