Jon Cozart’s Happily Ever After

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

If you’ve been on the internet in the last year, you’ve probably seen two very original Disney melodies, revealing that “happily ever after” may not be all it’s cracked up to be.  What you might not know about these videos is that their creator, Jon Cozart, is a senior RTF major right here at UT.  A performer since junior high, Jon is an experienced actor, singer, and member of UT’s Gigglepants Improv.  Jon is also continuing to make YouTube videos, having currently accumulated over two million subscribers.

Her Campus Texas:  How did you get started in theatre?

Jon Cozart:  I took an art/music/speech class in middle school, and we did some improv one day and my whole class really liked what I was saying.  I thought maybe I should look into performance based activities, so I joined speech and debate in middle school.  In high school, that transferred over into auditioning for school plays and taking theatre classes.

HCTX:  Out of all of the productions you’ve done, which has been your favorite?

JC:  It’s hard to choose a favorite, but I really enjoyed playing the Leading Player in Pippin.

HCTX:  Why?

JC:  It was the first time I felt confident singing in front of an audience and my teacher gave me free reign to create the character I wanted to create.

HCTX:  I understand you were on the Glee Project. What was that experience like?

JC:  The first time I auditioned, I was intimidated by the competition and afraid to socialize, and I ended up regretting that.  So when I got the opportunity to come back the next year, I pushed myself to make friends and connect with the talented people around me.  Even though I didn’t make it through the competition, I formed valuable relationships that I still have to this day.

HCTX:  What originally drew you to improv?

JC:  I was introduced to improv in a class in middle school and I seemed to have a knack for it and really enjoyed it.  It’s now become a huge passion of mine here at UT.

HCTX:  How did you get started on YouTube?

JC:  I made videos for class assignments in middle school and started putting them on YouTube. Then I discovered that there were people on YouTube who were becoming very successful and creating their own brand of “celebrity.”  It became a dream of mine, and I modeled myself after the YouTubers I admired.

HCTX:  How has your life changed since your videos went viral?

JC:  Well I don’t have to have a day job, which is really convenient because I am a full time student.  It also helps me pay for school.  My close relationships didn’t change, but some strangers have a preconceived (and sometimes inaccurate) idea of my personality.

HCTX:  Where do you see yourself in ten years?

JC:  Hopefully I’ll be writing full length musicals for the stage.  

HCTX:  Any advice for anyone looking to start their own YouTube channel?

JC:  Yes: avoid excuses and just make stuff.  I didn’t have an audience for five years, but I learned more about making videos in that first five years than I have since my videos went viral.

HCTX:  Any upcoming projects you’d like us to know about?

JC:  Yes!  I am starting a new, more personal second channel called Paintchips that I’m really hoping people will enjoy.

To see more of Jon Cozart, check out his YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/Paint/ 

I am Corisa but a lot of my friends call me Cori! I feel like the real life Hannah Horvath from Girls.