Johnny Depp Visits the Forty Acres

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Last Saturday, the Forty Acres hosted mega-movie star Johnny Depp, who stopped by to promote his latest film, “The Rum Diary,” during the Austin Film Festival. Radio-television-film and journalism students had the opportunity to get tickets to the free screening at the Student Activity Center. Some students waited in line for hours just to get a seat; The Daily Texan spoke to one student who had waited since 8 a.m. for the 6:30 p.m. showing. The Texan also noted that more than 400 students and faculty ended up attending the screening.

“The Rum Diary,” for which Depp was both producer and star, is based on a novel of the same name by journalist Hunter S. Thompson. After the movie was over, Depp and the director of the film, Bruce Robinson, appeared for a Q&A session. Depp regarded Austin warmly, and even made jokes with students, appearing very relaxed and down-to-earth.

On the way out, Johnny responded to a line of screaming fans by giving autographs, hugs and even a kiss on the head for one lucky girl — not what one might expect from an award-winning actor. He made an appearance at Spider House just off-campus afterwards in a private booth.

Needless to say, my Facebook newsfeed was blown up that night with blurry cell-phone pictures and sighting statuses. Thanks to RTF sophomore Zack Garcia, who waited in line for three hours to get a seat in the second row, getting these great photos. 

Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.