Informed Collegiettes: 2012 Presidential Election

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Democrat or Republican? President Barack Obama or Mitt Romney? Blue or Red? Who will you choose in the 2012 upcoming presidential election? Not sure? Read on because the 2012 presidential directly impacts education and college students (the Federal Pell Grant, loans, unemployment, etc.). In 2008, many college students couldn’t vote because they missed the age requirement of 18-years-old, but this year, a new era of eager students anticipate placing their vote and it is critical students know who they are voting for.

The Republican National Convention took place first with Mitt Romney directly attacking President Obama’s plans to improve the economy and providing thoughts onx his plans of action.  
In an attempt to encourage students financially struggling through school, Romney stated, “We’ve always encouraged young people — take a shot, go for it. Take a risk. Get the education. Borrow money, if you have to, from your parents. Start a business,” Romney said to the Washington Post. According to the Republican platform, Romney plans to improve community colleges to compete with four-year universities and ultimately reduce the increasing number of students graduating into a pool of debt. 

Under the platform, Republicans believe, “The federal government should not be in the business of originating student loans; however, it should serve as an insurance guarantor for the private sector as they offer loans to students,” as stated in the Republican platform. The Republican Party is in favor of providing equality amongst men and women.

The Republican Party is also not in favor of ‘Obamacare,’ Patient Protection and Affordable Care act, specifically providing free healthcare for uninsured students and allowing students to stay insured under their parents insurance until age 26. In response to Obamacare, they “believe that taking care of one’s health is an individual responsibility. To reduce demand, and thereby lower costs, we must foster personal responsibility while increasing preventive services to promote healthy lifestyles. Republicans plan to limit federal responsibility and assist patients by clearly explaining the patient’s financial responsibility prior to treatment,” the Republicans stated in their platform. 

Video of Republican National Convention-Governor Romney’s speech

On the other hand, the Democrats took a different approach at the Democratic National Convention. President Obama plans to make college more affordable for Americans by raising state standards and implementing reforms. “In 2010, President Obama signed into law student loan reform that ended government subsidies to big banks and made college more affordable to millions of Americans—a measure in size and scope second only to the G.I. Bill. The Obama administration is working to overhaul the “No Child Left Behind” program and provide teachers with more professional support and resources—while also holding them accountable,” Democrats stated in their platform. 

Across the nation, student loan debt exceeds credit card debt by $23,000 for each of the 35,000,000 debtors. Through providing incentives for teachers and more affordable education, Obama plans to graduate students without inheriting thousands in debt. 

‘Obamacare’ provides the largest tax cut for middle-class Americans for healthcare providing greater access for families and businesses, and reducing premiums. Obamacare impacts students, elderly, middle-class, those with pre-existing conditions and all that cannot attain affordable healthcare. The Democrats were able to pass this reform into law. “Like Medicare before, the Affordable Care Act lays a new foundation for our country that will bring additional security and stability to the American people for generations to come,” stated the Democratic Party in their platform. The Democrats are also dedicated to repealing the Defense of Marriage Act and continuing to stand by Affirmative Action.

Democrat National Convention-President Obama’s speech

College students, it is crucial to vote this year with 50 percent of students graduating into a jobless market. 
 Did you know it takes 270 electoral votes to win the presidential election? As Texans, one of the largest states in the U.S., we must do our job to move “Forward” with President Obama or “Believe in the America” under Mitt Romney. Together, we can make a difference. Get registered. Vote. Who will you choose?

See what other Collegiettes think in the Her Campus Presidential Poll, here!

The Cultured Frat Boy
The Examiner
FAQs
Daily Trojan
Democratic Party
Republican Party
Photo: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0412/75398.html

Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.