This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

First off, I hope all of your finals are going wonderfully (if that is even possible) and that your hours studying in the library haven’t driven you into complete delirium (its still early on, that’s what next weeks for, y’all). 

Enough about that school stuff though, I’m here to remind you that there is indeed a light at the end of the tunnel. 

That light is winter break. 

But what happens when that first week of sleep and family time gets old and you are left staring at the ceiling in your childhood bedroom? Boredom is not an option. Here are some helpful tips to keep you from counting the floor tiles in your kitchen during your holiday at home. 

Pick up a sport and get your exercise on.

No need to wait for the new year to start being more active and healthy! We’re in Texas, which means that the weather is generally pretty nice year round. Go take a run on a trail, or do some yoga in your backyard! Be creative. It’ll be fun and good for you! 

Cook!

Whether you’re an experienced chef or can barely make eggs (I’m unfortunately the latter) cooking is a great investment of your time over break. Impress your family with some delicious dessert or dinner one day and remember that practice makes perfect… so maybe try cooking a few different things before testin’ them out on your family. For all you know you’re the next Giada Di Laurentiis, you just don’t know it yet!

Sleep.

Yes, I know that you probably hibernated for an entire week after finals but you really can never get enough sleep, can you? So cherish those winter break siestas while you can because once the spring semester starts your good ol’ friend sleep deprivation will be back with a vengeance.

Read some good books.

Even though your brain is exhausted from reading that history textbook on pilgrims don’t let that turn you away from one of the best past times of all: reading. Reading is an amazing, fun and relaxing way to spend a few hours (or even an entire day if that books that good)! Remember the Reading Rainbow!? Yeah. Reading has always been cool. If you don’t know where to start look into movies that are coming out soon! Half the movies made nowadays are based on books and most of the time the books are so so so much better than the movies! Below are some ideas to start with.

Books being adapted in to films: The Hunger Games Trilogy, Divergent, The Wolf of Wall Street, The Fault in our Stars, Serena. (Each have films coming out within the next year, if not this year, and each film adaptation stars some pretty big names!)

Catch up on some TV- yes; I’m talking Netflix, Hulu and HBO GO. 

Lets be real. This is the really the only tip you need during times like these. Winter break is prime time for TV binges. Did you miss out on the perfection that is Orange is the New Black over the summer? Now is the time to catch up. I watched that entire series in one sitting (yes, I’m ridiculous and yes, I was procrastinating) but the point is you aren’t crazy for doing things like this over your break. It is actually celebrated. All the cool kids are doin’ it, I swear. Plus, when you get back to school you’ll have so much to talk about with all your friends. Yay for TV! 

Here’s some recommendations: 

Comedy: Veep, Orange is the New Black, Community, Trophy Wife, 30 Rock

Drama: Scandal, Revenge, Nashville, Orange is the New Black (yes, it is both comedy and drama, its perfect)

Guilty Pleasure: Pretty Little Liars

Happy Winter Break!