Halloween Night In: Candy and Movie Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Halloween is here! Yes, you get to dress up AND have a valid excuse to party all weekend long (not that you really needed one… you’re a college student, remember?)

With that said, Halloween is pretty much the holiday that college kids wait for all year long for these two reasons alone. And yes, we all know that the several nights of costume parties are the highlight of the occasion but… what about the day after? You want to recover but still bask in the Halloween spirit, right? Better yet, what about the day before when you’ve got to save your energy for the following days’ festivities!?

The answer is actually quite simple- movies and candy. Yes, the perfect way to prepare for the ‘fun to come’ is with some good old Halloween candy and a classic scary movie! Halloween movies are all over TV right now, and you might already own some yourself (I own Hocus Pocus and the entire Scream series, no shame)! Either way, HCTX has got your back with some Halloween movie night tips as well as which candies to buy and which are actually a little scarier than the movies you’ll be watching (too many excess calories! #shriek).

Halloween Candy Guide:

Chewy treats

Jelly Belly Kid’s Mix = 28 calories a pack.

• This one is definitely a hit if you like jellybeans. You can even have more than one mini pack without breaking the calorie bank!

Tootsie Roll Midgees = 140 calories (6 pieces)

• Keep portion control in mind and Tootsie Rolls will satisfy your sugar craving without that pesky post-consumption regret.

Candy Corn = 140 calories (22 pieces)

• Stay away! Unless these suckers are pre-packed for portion control purposes it may be hard to not eat an entire package (trust me, these are my all time favorite and I could gobble them down for dinner right now!)

Skittles = 61 calories (per Snack Size bag)

• If you can stick to one or two snack size bags I think you can get away with enjoying some Skittles. They’re not the worst of choices but they’re also not the best.

Jolly ranchers – 70 calories (3 Jolly ranchers)

• They take a little longer to chow down on and are low in calories! Eat up!

Chocolate-y goodies

3 Musketeers = 63 Calories (per one Fun Size piece)

• This might just be your best chocolate option! It’s a lower calorie choice with no caramel… so unless you really need that caramel fix I’d go with a 3 Musketeers. Its fluffy, light and delicious!

Reese’s = 88 calories (1 peanut butter cup)

• If you need a peanut fix, stick to M&Ms because let’s be real, once you eat one Reese’s cup its very hard to stop and the calories add up real fast.

Peanut M&M’s = 90 calories (1 Fun Size Pouch)

• The peanuts in Peanut M&M’s will keep you fuller for far longer than gummy candies. They’re not necessarily low in calories considering the ‘Fun Size’ pouch doesn’t pack many M&M’s but if you can keep control and refrain from devouring 10 Fun Size pouches (it’s tougher than it sounds) you should be golden. Plus, if you get the dark chocolate peanut M&M option you’ll be even better off!

Lollies

• Lollipops are a pretty safe bet when you’re counting calories but still want to enjoy some holiday candy. Every option is pretty low in calories so pick your favorite and go to town.

• Charm Blow Pops = 60 calories per lollipop

• Dum Dum Pops = 51 calories (2 lollipops)

Sweet Halloween Snack

• Peeps Pumpkins = 16 calories (1 marshmallow)

Definitely low in calories, just keep in mind that it is all sugar, so if you’re trying to avoid sugar… stay away. Then again, if you’re avoiding sugar, you should probably avoid any candy on this list (or candy all together).

Halloween Movie Guide:

Fun Holiday Flicks

The ‘Scream’ series:

• The Scream movies are perfect for a night of fun Halloween festivities with lots of candy. Plus, if you start with the first one you get to see vintage Courtney Cox in some neon-colored, undeniably fierce skirt suits. You’re welcome.

Beetlejuice

• This film needs no blurb. It is that wonderful.

Hocus Pocus

• Hocus Pocus is easily one of my favorite Halloween movies (as I mentioned earlier, I totally own it). It’s a childhood favorite and its got Carrie from Sex and the City in it, ya’ll. Oh, and there is a musical number! It’s definitely a must-see Halloween flick. Also, not scary at all. Enjoy!

Little Shop of Horrors

• This one is a musical! Enough said.

Fright Night Classics

The classics need no introduction. They’re classics for a reason.

• Halloween

• Friday the 13th

• A Nightmare on Elm Street

• Poltergeist

• Children of the Corn

• The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

(Watch the one with UT alumnus Renee Zellweger and Matthew McConaughey!)

Modern Scare

• Carrie

The ‘Carrie’ remake is in theatres now, y’all! Its stars Chloe Grace Moretz and Julianne Moore so the acting will obviously be solid! Go see it!

For laughs

• Halloween H20: 20 Years Later

Tyra Banks and Busta Rhymes are two of the movies leads… need I say more?